• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What on earth happened??

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
So I was driving from Oklahoma city to Tulsa to get my wisdom teeth removed. A little under halfway there all of the sudden a car passed me and I was going 60 when I normally go 80. I pulled to the shoulder because I was loosing speed fast. When I came to a stop there was smoke bellowing from under the hood. I popped it and noticed my engine and battery and even the right side of my windshield was wet. I put a full container of antifreeze in and still wasn't full. So I limped it to mcdonalds 7 miles a way stopping 2 more times cause the smoke was too heavy inside the car. I left it there overnight and my dad put it on a trailer the next day while I was at school. There was NO oil. It was all under the car. My baby is a 76 ranger all original. So to everyone who knows what are all the possible problems. And ways to test them. I want her running for the ocbr. Which falls on my 17th birthday. Even though we probably aren't gonna be able to go. I still want to know what all could be wrong with my car so I can fix it. All help is very Much appreciated.

Last edited:

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Find the Great Gordon. He should be able to help. Any other Tulsa peeps out there?

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
Im in Tulsa.. I can help you this weekend if you would like to call or meet up sometime... 918-638-9877

OP
OP

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
Well I can say this. When I pulled into the parking lot when I hit around 30 I just died. I had to muscle the wheel to turn into the spot. It WAS clean under the bronco when I pulled in. When he picked it up all my oil was on the ground. As to where. There's a board under it now. I cam tell you exactly where tomorrow it's too dark out right now

And it's here in Edmond with me but next time im in Tulsa (normally every other weekend) and I have her with me. I'll let anyone who would like to look at her come meet up at sonic on Peoria haha

beernut

Loc.
Hampton
Pull the drain plug and see what comes out with the oil. If you see water I would look towards a blown head gasket. How many miles are on the motor?

OP
OP

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
I'll have to look I think 32k. I rolled it to 30 on the way when I first brought I to Edmond. Though it's probably rolled over. My friend said pop he hood and fill the radiator with water. Turn It on and if water shoots up. Blowback and broken head gasket. Is this correct? And my dad thinks broken water pump or cracked block. Could these be true?

beernut

Loc.
Hampton
They could be. You'll know more once you pull the drain plug or what he said.

Keep us informed.

-bn

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
You said smoke filled up the cab,but you stopped and put antifreeze in it?Was it steam in the cab?If it was smoke and all oil is on the grown you could have slung a rod and cracked/busted the block.I hope you didn't do that.

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
You're going about this wrong.

If your dad can wrench well have him lead.

If not find someone who can wrench well and get them to your place for some hands on training.

Start there.

There is no list of all possible problems and your buddy's advice is crap.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Dood - you were going 80 in and EB? Yeah... I'd look for something poking out of the block somewhere... :(

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well unfortunetly about the only thing that could cause all the oil to come out is a rod through the oil pan. Which means that engine is probably toast.
Unless someone was trying to sabotage you and pulled the drain plug. Lets hope for that

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
Lots of things could have caused the coolant issue. Hoses, freeze plugs, water pump etc.
Could the oil filter have been a little loose and blown out the gasket? How about the extension for the oil pressure sending unit? Sometimes they crack at the threads, I have had that happen more than once.
Was there any unusual noise from the engine?

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
It WAS clean under the bronco when I pulled in. When he picked it up all my oil was on the ground. As to where.

All the oil on the ground when you came back to get it sounds like a hole in the oil pan unfortunately.......not much other explanation for how your oil got there without the engine running :( Was the engine knocking or making a noise of any kind before it died?

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
like several others, my guess is you threw a rod and it punctured the oil pan or blew out the block. Hopefully not, but that would be my guess with what you've mentioned. Good news is that you can go whatever way you want from there. I threw a rod through the block when the original motor hit 134k miles. I went with a 347 and couldn't be happier that the original motor crapped out on me.

OP
OP

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
My dad can definitely do all the work. But he just puts it off due to family issues. Here's the really bad part and why I'm praying to god it's not major. My step mom is a freak and won't let him put any money into it since it's in my moms name. She REFUSES to put money into it since it's Not with her. So I'm screwed if it's major. There was a slight noise. The best way I cam describe it was like a playing card on a bicycle wheel. Jut a LOT softer. It was really hard to notice

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
That was about the time the oil left or temp rose very high.I don't mean to sound like a Preacher,but I would change the title of your post because (just my op) using the Lords name invain I don't believe is a good idea.

OP
OP

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
I would now change it but I don't know how. And that noise actually was happening a week or so before my baby burned out. I told my dad but he didn't have tome to look at it.