• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what should 9 inch pinion nut be torqed too?

71 nightmare

Loc.
galesburg il.
i need to know what to set my pinion nut for my 9 inch rear,changing the leaky seals also for the dana 44 up front. and also what shoud i torque the nuts on the u-joints when i change them?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
71 nightmare said:
i need to know what to set my pinion nut for my 9 inch rear,changing the leaky seals also for the dana 44 up front. and also what shoud i torque the nuts on the u-joints when i change them?
From Haynes Manual
9 inch pinion is min 160 lbs
D44 pinion is 200-220 lbs
U-joints 96-180 in-lbs

jabranovich

Loc.
New Castle PA.
9'' pinion nut spec.

Don't mean to disagree,but I do it for a living....9'' you must change crush collar and torque until it takes 10 to 20 inch lbs.of drag to turn yoke without any axle or brake drag ,same for dana 44 if it has crush collar,most have spacer and shims if so tighten to 200lbs. same 10 to 20 in lbs.drag,it will take over 300ft.lbs.on 9''to start crushing collar,go slow,if you get over 30 in.lbs.on either one ,pinion brgs.won't last 500 mi.
JACK

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
jabranovich said:
Don't mean to disagree,but I do it for a living....9'' you must change crush collar and torque until it takes 10 to 20 inch lbs.of drag to turn yoke without any axle or brake drag ,same for dana 44 if it has crush collar,most have spacer and shims if so tighten to 200lbs. same 10 to 20 in lbs.drag,it will take over 300ft.lbs.on 9''to start crushing collar,go slow,if you get over 30 in.lbs.on either one ,pinion brgs.won't last 500 mi.
JACK

If you dont want to invest in a torque wrench that will measure those light forces. You can cut a 1 foot radius circle out of plywood. Drill four 1/4 holes to bolt it to the yoke with a large center hole that the pinion nut socket would fit through. Wrap a piece of fish line around the plywood wheel and use fish scale to pull the line. Home Depot has 2 foot daimeter particle board circles.