• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what should i do

hoovs73

My 2 year old son has lost my only set of keys to my 74 bronco.I called a
locksmith and he said it will be at least 150.00. Is there any tricks to get the
ignition switch out without tearing everying up.
Thanks

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know exactly where your keys are, check the toilet. No really...

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Probably less than $10 for a new ignition tumbler. Drill it out but be carefull not to tear up the ignition switch around and behind it. Then you can recode the door locks to the new tumbler.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
If you can tow it to the lock smith it will be cheaper (obvoiusly huh).

If you drill out the tumbler it will take you a while and you might still mess something up.

By the time you re-key the door tumblers to match the new ignition tumbler you might as well buy a complete set of tumlers and keys from wild horses or someone for $50 or so. I think thats what I paid for the complete set. Both doors and ignition.

Then ask yourself. Is all that worth saving $100 for the locksmith to just come make you a new key. Won't take him too long if he is any good.

I drove mine to a locksmith's office to get a key made for my hardtop. Took him about 15-20 minutes and he charged me $25 bucks (cash).

Call around you may find someone that is a little hungrier. I've never known two locksmiths to even bill the same hourly rate.

Formerjughead

Loc.
Chico
The lock cylinder in the door has a number stamped on it. All you need to do is pull off the door panel, disconnect the loccking rod, remove the spring clip and the door cylinder comes out. They take the code and cut a new key......should only cost $10.00.

Brad

Thwak

Loc.
Clear Lake, TEXAS
i have two different keys. one for doors and ignition, one for rear gate and glove box. can they make those other locks all fit one key. sorry for the hijack.

Formerjughead

Loc.
Chico
i have two different keys. one for doors and ignition, one for rear gate and glove box. can they make those other locks all fit one key. sorry for the hijack.

No.........glove box & door keys are different "Key Ways"

tjsaye

Loc.
Midlothian
get a new ignition but don't install it

un plug your ignition and plug the new one in allowing it to hang down under the dash uninstalled,,,drive to the locksmith and have have em make you a key...Take the new ignition back.. making a new key should be only $50

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
Incidentally, don't be stumped if none of his keys fit your ignition.

I took mine in to get it copied and turns out I have GM key (and, I guess, GM door locks, ignition tumblers, etc...????)

?:? ?:? ?:? ?:?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The lock cylinder in the door has a number stamped on it. All you need to do is pull off the door panel, disconnect the loccking rod, remove the spring clip and the door cylinder comes out. They take the code and cut a new key......should only cost $10.00.

Brad

Ding ding ding!!!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Now that's even a new one on me,.. how do you have GM keys in a ford .....
maybe some one replaced them with Delco ign and locks ...I'm not sure .........

uncle ray

No.........glove box & door keys are different "Key Ways"

actually they can, i had my tailgate lock converted to the same key as the doors/ignition. yes it took a little work on the locksmiths part, but it was done for the usual $25 or so.

OP
OP
H

hoovs73

Thank God,The keys were found at my in-laws how they ended up over there
I dont know.Thanks for your help.