• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What size axles are you running in the rearend.

What 9" axles are you currently running?

• Total voters

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
This poll is to get a decent comparison of the percentage of people running a particular axle size in the rearend to go along with the other poll I started to find out what axles people have broken. It will not be a perfect match because one allows multiple selections but it should give us a little better insight.

Be sure to vote in both polls to help us look at both aspects. Here is a link to the other one:
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76987

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Do you want me to vote even though I am running a D60 rear or do only want people that are running a 9 to vote?

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
SaddleUp said:
This poll is to get a decent comparison of the percentage of people running a particular axle size in the rearend to go along with the other poll I started to find out what axles people have broken. It will not be a perfect match because one allows multiple selections but it should give us a little better insight.

Be sure to vote in both polls to help us look at both aspects. Here is a link to the other one:
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76987
i have stock 28 with a mini spool what all do i have to change out to change it to a 35

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
crawln68 said:
Do you want me to vote even though I am running a D60 rear or do only want people that are running a 9 to vote?
Assuming your running the 35 spline axles then go for it. As far as the axles go they will be pretty much the same.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
slyjki said:
i have stock 28 with a mini spool what all do i have to change out to change it to a 35
Do you have a small bearing or big bearing housing? if it's a small bearing then the only thing you can reuse will be the gears unless you get a spool that has had the bearing surfaces thinned down to fit a stock side bearing. I don't care for that option though as is seems pointless to take one of the weak points and make it even weaker. (I've seen the bearing retainers popped right out of a stock 3rd. member) If you do go that route then it allows you to reuse all of the 3rd. member except the carrier itself.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Stock 28 spline on both my 71 and 73 with 31 and 33 in tires respectively havent broken a axle yet but would like to upgrade to 31 spline alloys on the 73 one day.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
Assuming your running the 35 spline axles then go for it. As far as the axles go they will be pretty much the same.

Yes sir, full float D60, 35 spline alloy's, 5:13's, ARB and 38.5 tires. ;D

Last edited:

tonto

Bronco Guru
Fullwidth 9" housing, stock 31spline axle shafts, detroit locker with 37" tires.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Running stock 28 stock 28 splines with 4:11's and 35's planning on going to 31splines here soon and 4:56's

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I run a Lincoln rear axle and I am pretty sure it's 31spline. I am running Tom's Shafts which I don't think are anything special other than 31 spline. I bought my bronco this way. Oh and running 35's with 4.10's.

J.D.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
This is the one thing that I have not gotten into yet, and the one thing that makes me very nerveous. My rig came with 4.56 gears, Detroit locker & a small bearing rear housing, so I have to assume I've got 28 spines... I know I need to do somthing about this. I'll pull a axle this spring to see what it looks like. Then I'll need to replace the entire rear end. ?:?

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I've seen lots of abuse on stock 28 spline and they hold up suprisingly well. Until I break mine I wont upgrade. If so 31 spline alloy will be my choice.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
tabascom16 said:
I've seen lots of abuse on stock 28 spline and they hold up suprisingly well. Until I break mine I wont upgrade. If so 31 spline alloy will be my choice.
My experience has been that they don't hold up worth a beans. On my first trip out with my EB I broke one and then two trips later I broke 2 within 24 hours (On the same side). The other poll I have going on this seems to confirm the same thing since there is a substantial percentage of people there that have broken them.

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
SaddleUp said:
Do you have a small bearing or big bearing housing? if it's a small bearing then the only thing you can reuse will be the gears unless you get a spool that has had the bearing surfaces thinned down to fit a stock side bearing. I don't care for that option though as is seems pointless to take one of the weak points and make it even weaker. (I've seen the bearing retainers popped right out of a stock 3rd. member) If you do go that route then it allows you to reuse all of the 3rd. member except the carrier itself.
its a big bearing and i have a mini spool

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
slyjki said:
its a big bearing and i have a mini spool
Then you will be able to reuse the gears and the axle housing. You still need to replace the entire third member (including the mini spool) except the gears unless you get a spool that has been machined down to fit it. If you go that route then the entire third member except the carrier (Which includes the mini spool) can be reused. (Either way the mini spool needs to come out)