• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to lube door latch with

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have been fighting stiff door latches for a while now. Finally pulled the first door off and took it all apart. Everything looks dry. Going to run the parts through a solvent tank tomorrow and get everything nice and clean.

the question come up with what should I lube the latch, door handle, etc. with? Being in Arizona nasty abrasive dust is a problem, so I am a little leary of grease as it will probably just collect the dust and make an abrasive goop. Graphite probably won't have the durability I am looking for. Probably wash off too quickly.

So any idea what I should lube the latch with? Don't want something that attracks dirt, want it to stay for a long time, not wash off, last a long time. Not very demaning am I?

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I have been fighting stiff door latches for a while now. Finally pulled the first door off and took it all apart. Everything looks dry. Going to run the parts through a solvent tank tomorrow and get everything nice and clean.

the question come up with what should I lube the latch, door handle, etc. with? Being in Arizona nasty abrasive dust is a problem, so I am a little leary of grease as it will probably just collect the dust and make an abrasive goop. Graphite probably won't have the durability I am looking for. Probably wash off too quickly.

So any idea what I should lube the latch with? Don't want something that attracks dirt, want it to stay for a long time, not wash off, last a long time. Not very demaning am I?

I think white lithium is the best thing. I agree that graphite wont last.

I'm wondering if one of the breakfree (nuts/bolts) type products would be the best in your situation. If you got abrasives in it you could just flush it with more. I'll see what I have in the garage. I can see the can, but cant put a name on it.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Clean them well and use white lithium and they will work good as new if you adjust them right.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
What about high-end bicycle lube. I believe its a couple of levels above white lithium, it 'dries' so there is not greasy residue to allow dust to accumulate. A budy of mine builds very high end bikes, so I can ask him about it. Its not cheap, but might be a good option. I was going to hit him up for some for mine.

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
What about motorcycle chain grease, it holds up awesome and it gets hard so it shouldn't collect anything. Don't know if it will work or not just a thought.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I use a gun oil called "Breakfree CLP" on door hinges. I don't normally like wet lubricants that might attract dirt, but this stuff is awesome. I use an aerosol graphite (sprays on wet, but dries fast) on the latches and window regulators.

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
When I almost had to crawl in through the liftgate at work one day, I decided it was time to do this. I just completed mine 2 weekends ago. I used white lithium grease. So far, so good :cool:

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I got one latch out, gave it a bath is the solvent tank. As I will be lubing what is inside the door, not just the part on the outside, I am looking for the long term lube. The white lithium is a good lube, but I think it is a little short lived for what I am looking at doing.

Based on the suggestions here and from co-workers I am down to 2 ideas. Motorcycle chain wax that I already own and some dry lube that I don’t (latter being the fancy bicycle chain lube)

As a side note, the latching mechanism is fairly interesting. After playing with it for 10 minutes I can understand where some of my problems could be from. How a tab slides over to unlock the door when you close it unless the button is pressed (I think I could defeat that if I wanted to). Why I can’t unlock the door if the outside latch is binding a bit. Why the outside button is so hard to press and why it sticks (I really should replace the outside handles due to wear).

Hopefully I will have the doors back up and running in a few days. Mechanically they should be fine, No rust is another good part. I’ll weld up the fatigue cracks and hope it lasts a few more years until I need to open them again.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I have been using motorcycle chain lube haven't had to relube them for about six years. Definitly do not use WD40 or anything else that freezes if you live in a colder area.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
no matter the lube you assemble them with, you'll still need to go back periodically and squirt somethin at 'em.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I got home today and went to lube the cleaned latch. Then I realized I left the chain lube in the International water truck parked at my uncles.

I haven't had the door panels off since I painted the truck 5 years ago, I hope the chain wax lasts that long. As for the part that hits the striker, I can Lithium that a time or two a year. It's the stuff inside the door I am trying to lube for a long time.

And I still need to make a run to the parts store for some of those plastic rod clips...