• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what type of 2-way radio is everyone using?

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
I am in the process of putting a new radio in my EB, primarily for communication during trail runs. I was going to just throw in a standard CB, that is until I read the latest copy of Bronco Driver and saw the article on VHF/UHF radios for use in vehicles.

How many people out there are using these radios on trail runs? Is a standard CB sufficient to get the job done? It seems like a lot extra work and money to get started with the Ham radios, even though they obviously have more range and features, especially to find that no one else is out there running them.

Thanks for your inputs!

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
I'm using a normal CB. I don't think you need a ham radio except for extram emergencies while your wheeling alone, which you shouldn't be. While on a train the radio only needs to brodcast about 100 yards or so. I would say go standerd CB.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I have a Uniden CB with Single Side Band. The SSB has a lot less traffic, and is also more powerful. I have talked to people from Boston when I was in the Olympic Peninsula! I think the weather/atmosphere had more to do with that occurance, though. You also don't need a license with SSB. I don't know why they aren't more popular.

70bucks

Loc.
Valley Center SOCAL
I agree with the post on wheeling alone with a slightly alternate point of view. A ham has a far greater range, but the chances of finding someone nearby with ham is way less likely due to the small (although growing)number of people using them. Chances are pretty good in the Socal area if you break down with a CB there will be someone close enough to communicate with, which would have help to you sooner.

If your whole group doesn't have CB's the Motorola 2 ways are a good way to go. For the price of a good Cb you can have 4 of the two ways that you can pass out to whoever is coming along. They have worked pretty well for us on the trail, but aren't worth a crap on the way to the trail head unless your running a hard top. They don't have enough volume. JM2C

Joe

OP
OP
superfly53

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
So, is ANYONE out there using the HAM radio in there Bronco? The latest Bronco Driver made it sound like everyone was using them and only the dinosaurs were using CBs.

(Not that there is anything wrong with dinosaurs, as I am quickly becoming one myself)

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
lots of members of early bronco registry use ham radios. i have a uniden cb in my bronco that's tweaked and peaked pumping 43 watts, that's good enough for me!

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I have been an active Ham operator for quite some time, NØKHC, and my wife, NØKIV.
My reason was to stay in touch with several other Hams, including my father, who had an Extra class license, as a hobby. Over the years the active Hams that I have known and spent time with have passed or no longer go into the back country.

My back country choice has always been the 2 meter or 440 rigs when I was mobile.

When my father was hunting we always brought the HF rig along into the Elk camp for the opportunity to get the latest news and weather reports from friends and family. We had our camp in a pretty desolate area and it was pretty tuff to get into or out of in bad weather.

There are several repeaters around that do allow long distance communication with the FM radios, 2 meter, or you can go mobile to mobile for a more secluded conversation. I do have to agree with the fact that not everybody will be outfitted with a Ham radio and you opportunity to use one in a lot of circumstances may be limited.

I currently own four handheld radios, and three of the larger rigs, two Icom and a Kenwood. I also have a 5 watt to 50 watt amp that I use with my Icom handheld at times. I also use a magnetic mount antenna and remove it when I get home.

Where I currently hunt, and in most places I frequent, I can get a signal out to a couple of repeaters. In the past I have set a schedule with my wife back at the house. She is about 120 miles as the crow flies from where I elk hunt. I will talk with her with the 50 watt 2 meter radio. It works for me, but probably not everybody can make that happen conveniently for them.

I am not much into the CB but they work well for many people.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Don't forget you need to be a licensed to operate a HAM radio.

You can get a study book from Radio Shack and find a local group to pass the exam which is not to hard.

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
it all depends on what everyone else is doing in your area. We all run cb's on the trail here, but some run ham radios for the other places they wheel. Get with who your gonna be running with, then decide. A cobra cb shouldnt let you down as long as you match it up with a good antenna, not just the truckstop kind

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
rustbucket said:
I have a Uniden CB with Single Side Band. The SSB has a lot less traffic, and is also more powerful. I have talked to people from Boston when I was in the Olympic Peninsula! I think the weather/atmosphere had more to do with that occurance, though. You also don't need a license with SSB. I don't know why they aren't more popular.

I think because you have to get guys to give up the old school CB and go new SSB I thought you had to have SSB to talk to SSB.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
I'm also a Ham user (KG6-HKF). The EB's I run with have and use Ham's quite a bit. Yes it does take a license to use, but when you get past that point they are far superior to ANY other current radios. When I get static on my CB, I can get clear reception and use out of the Ham. Line of sight use is tripple to ten fold for distance and when linked with local repeaters, will find ranges from 10 - 100 miles.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If I'm traveling long distances in a small convoy then I find UHF to be a great option as long as there isn't much noise inside the vehicle. On the trails I think most people still use CB's though. If I do go to something else then I will still maintain a CB for organized trail runs.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
I think alot of people are switching over to Family Radio service, which is what those little Motorola Walkie talkies are on. Theyre cheap and they have a good range.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Standard Cobra CB for me. HAM is pretty much useless around here unless I wanted to talk to someone in Texas.

But, a nice tuned CB with SSB and a Wilson 1000 antenna and you'll have more then enough range to talk to anyone in your group. If everyone was tuned SSB and had a good antenna, you'd be all set. But, we all know a few cheap bastards who buy the $29.00 CB and try to get a 2 mile range from a $10.00 fiberglass antenna. Might as well use smoke signals or more codes from your flash light at that range...