• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What would you do with this Bronco?

magstar67

Contributor
Loc.
Missouri
Hi all, I bought this rust free mostly unmolested ‘75 over the summer. It hasn’t been on the road since the early 90’s so the brakes, suspension, gaskets etc need to be gone thru. I want to preserve it and want to get it to a reliable driver status for occasional use, the only thing I’m going to do to alter it is probably a 2.5” lift and 33” tires with Indy Mags or white Steelies.

My question is what would you do with the undercarriage after replacing all the bushings and springs and shocks etc? It’s going to be all apart so should I just replace the parts and keep it as is or or should I go down the rabbit hole and pull the body off and blast and paint the frame, steering, diffs etc (essentially restore the chassis)? I want the Body and drivetrain to retain its ‘as is’ appearance.

What would you do?

IMG_3458.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3449.jpeg
    IMG_3449.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7629.jpeg
    IMG_7629.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

77Bronco636

I would put your lift on, tires/wheels, get it running and drive it……will look a lot better with all the new suspension parts on it…frame and undercarriage doesn’t look to bad….a good power washing will do wonders…..Nice Bronco by the way!!

OP
OP
magstar67

magstar67

Contributor
Loc.
Missouri
I would put your lift on, tires/wheels, get it running and drive it……will look a lot better with all the new suspension parts on it…frame and undercarriage doesn’t look to bad….a good power washing will do wonders…..Nice Bronco by the way!!

Your option makes it a lot easier for sure and was my original plan. It is running but brakes are shot so I’ve got a whole lot of parts reading to throw at it. It has been power washed it but it has surface rust on everything. I’ve tested some rust treatments on it that help but they don’t seem to hold up that condition without some sort of topcoat Thanks for the compliment and input.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
It doesn’t look bad underneath. I’d replace what needs replacing and paint as you reassemble. You can get some nice chassis paints that can go right over surface rust. As mentioned give it a good pressure wash with some degreaser before you start working on it. It’s only original once so the more you can leave alone the cooler it will be.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I would put your lift on, get some front disk brakes,and ride it ! Hey don't throw those wheels and tires away some of us 78/79 guy's love them wheels you got on there! The body on that bronco looks great!

OP
OP
magstar67

magstar67

Contributor
Loc.
Missouri
I would put your lift on, get some front disk brakes,and ride it ! Hey don't throw those wheels and tires away some of us 78/79 guy's love them wheels you got on there! The body on that bronco looks great!

I actually like the wheels too but in my mind I know they aren’t correct for it. I may still keep them on it.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
How many miles? A mostly unmolested Bronco like that is solid gold, not in money, but in actual daily usefulness and pure awesomeness. I speak from experience. Our light blue 76 is actually pretty stock with a c4. The only additions being modern off road bumpers, 33s, wheels, 2.5 inch, and relatively new engine. Over the past decade we have added a rebuilt column, upholstery, etc. Now it is our daily driver and functions day in day out perfectly, keeping up with modern traffic and fulfilling all off road requirements asked of it. . It is now the subject of admiration everywhere we go, yet is fundamentally stock. I see this Bronco as a perfect platform for exactly that sort of direction. The stock Bronco is pretty darn durable and functional. Once you start doing all the aftermarket drive train and suspension modes, then things can go south real quick for utility. Congratulations on this find.

OP
OP
magstar67

magstar67

Contributor
Loc.
Missouri
How many miles? A mostly unmolested Bronco like that is solid gold, not in money, but in actual daily usefulness and pure awesomeness. I speak from experience. Our light blue 76 is actually pretty stock with a c4. The only additions being modern off road bumpers, 33s, wheels, 2.5 inch, and relatively new engine. Over the past decade we have added a rebuilt column, upholstery, etc. Now it is our daily driver and functions day in day out perfectly, keeping up with modern traffic and fulfilling all off road requirements asked of it. . It is now the subject of admiration everywhere we go, yet is fundamentally stock. I see this Bronco as a perfect platform for exactly that sort of direction. The stock Bronco is pretty darn durable and functional. Once you start doing all the aftermarket drive train and suspension modes, then things can go south real quick for utility. Congratulations on this find.

Yep definitely not wanting to do any mods to it other than maybe the mild lift and little bigger tires. The rest will stay the same, it even still has the bag for the jack. I think it has around 75,000 miles from memory. It runs like a top just doesn’t stop at the moment

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
If it were me, learning from my own mistakes, I would refresh the brakes and start driving it. The. I would hit the chassis with something like “NH Oil Undercoating” to protect/clean up the underside and then I would go ahead and get my suspension and wheel/tire packages picked out and ordered. Swap it out when it’s all together.

Plenty of guys/gals on here have brought back old paint with some good ole fashioned elbow grease. Good luck, and have fun.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
If that were mine I would put some "period correct" slot mags on it with a 1.5 inch and 33s. Toms front disc kit with new rear shoes, cylinders and then good tune up and drive. That paint would clean up super nice with a good buffing.

OP
OP
magstar67

magstar67

Contributor
Loc.
Missouri
If that were mine I would put some "period correct" slot mags on it with a 1.5 inch and 33s. Toms front disc kit with new rear shoes, cylinders and then good tune up and drive. That paint would clean up super nice with a good buffing.

That’s the wheels I’m leaning toward too, and the pic is a few months old so the paint did come back to life nicely with a little elbow grease

OP
OP
magstar67

magstar67

Contributor
Loc.
Missouri
Thanks guys, you confirmed what my gut was telling me too. Get it cleaned up and drivable and enjoy it as a good solid honest truck. .

OP
OP
magstar67

magstar67

Contributor
Loc.
Missouri
If it were me, learning from my own mistakes, I would refresh the brakes and start driving it. The. I would hit the chassis with something like “NH Oil Undercoating” to protect/clean up the underside and then I would go ahead and get my suspension and wheel/tire packages picked out and ordered. Swap it out when it’s all together.

Plenty of guys/gals on here have brought back old paint with some good ole fashioned elbow grease. Good luck, and have fun.

I’m going to check out the product you mentioned. I don’t really want to cover anything up but would like to kill the surface rust somehow but maintain its original appearance. Thanks

Sendero

Contributor
Sr. Jr. Member
Hi all, I bought this rust free mostly unmolested ‘75 over the summer. It hasn’t been on the road since the early 90’s so the brakes, suspension, gaskets etc need to be gone thru. I want to preserve it and want to get it to a reliable driver status for occasional use, the only thing I’m going to do to alter it is probably a 2.5” lift and 33” tires with Indy Mags or white Steelies.

My question is what would you do with the undercarriage after replacing all the bushings and springs and shocks etc? It’s going to be all apart so should I just replace the parts and keep it as is or or should I go down the rabbit hole and pull the body off and blast and paint the frame, steering, diffs etc (essentially restore the chassis)? I want the Body and drivetrain to retain its ‘as is’ appearance.

What would you do?

View attachment 915004

Awesome rig.

First, I would agree with doing what you can to make it drive comfortable and then drive it. I have made the mistake of tearing everything down and biting off on a huge multi-year project whenever I could have done a few upgrades and been driving it the whole time. A pristine rig isn't what it cracked up to be and your body looks to be in good shape. I would leave it frame on for now. You can always bite off on more later without wasting what you do now.

Power disk brakes seems like like a worthy upgrade, at least in the front. Hydroboost is better but vacuum works.

Remember, not all lift kits are created equal and if you really want it to drive well, I would invest in the necessary suspension and steering components. James Duff sells a 2.5" duck tuff lift which many, including myself, couldnt recommend enough. It is twice as much as other lift systems but comes with new radius arms and adjustable tie rod, drag link, and a trac bar, nice eibach shocks, hellwig front and rear sway bars etc . It has heim joints and is just overall a great system to make it handle like a more modern vehicle. If you don't go with that system, at least make sure you get a trac bar riser or drop bracket so your track bar is parallel to your drag link, this eliminates bump steer which comes with lifting a bronco. You will also want to look at adjusting the camber on the dana 44 as it is likely out of whack from the factory and is likely going to become an issue with the larger tires and will eat the outer edge of the tires and handle poorly. This can be done with a $15 digital angle finder on amazon and camber bushings. You will also want to make sure you correct the caster with the appropriate radius arm C bushings, which should come with most lift kits. All of these steering and suspension upgrades will keep your bronco between the mustard and the mayonnaise!

I agree with getting body color matched flares or at least matching the flares front to back.

Maybe get some good comfortable seats and let her eat! Nice find!

Last edited: