• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What year did the external spare tire carrier start?

Bronco Paul

Just wondering what year it started in. My '70 came with the one that is not factory one but either a dealer install or a popular after market at the time. I've seen the correct factory one on '66 models but heard that it wasn't an option until 1970...any truth to that?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
there were external spare tire racks on model T's.

LMAO. I think wagons had external wheel carriers as well.;D
But 1968 was the year that the optional swingaway tire carrier was officailly introduced on the bronco. My 71 sport has the internal tailgate spare mount. Lots of aftermarket tire carriers were popular could be a hickey unit they were one of the first company's to make them. Some were univrsal so they fit a varity of vehicles as well.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Supposedly offically it was 68 but like any thing the previous year model would probably have some overlap or the tire carrier was installed at a later date.