• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What year did they start putting side marker lights on?

molson1006

Found a bronco online and I've been writing back-and-forth to the owner they are telling me it is a 76 but for some reason I'm noticing on the photos there are no side marker lights. I'm pretty sure if it was a 76 it would have them

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
70 was the first year of the lights. 68-69 had reflectors. Some people remove the lights and fill the holes.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
X2 on the lights being removed. My 76 came that way when I bought it 3 years ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 190

slim811

Contributor
Auto Brevity

AUTO BREVITY

Side Marker Lights

AUTO BREVITY

Side Marker Lights

Effective January 1, 1968, all passenger cars built for sale in the United States were required to display amber lights or reflectors on the sides of front fenders, and red lights or reflectors on the sides of rear quarter panels.

Standard No. 108 - Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, (except pole trailers and trailer converter dollies), and Motorcycles (Effective 1-1-68 for vehicles 2,032 mrn (80 or more inches) in width and effective 1-1-69 for all other vehicles). This standard specifies requirements for original and replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. Its purpose is to reduce traffic crashes and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic crashes, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness, or other conditions of reduced visibility.

Confused yet? Basically, what this says regarding side marker lights is that effective on all vehicles made on January 1, 1968 or later, amber side marker lamps or reflectors that can be seen in profile are required to be included near the front of the vehicle, and red side marker lamps or reflectors that can be seen in profile are required to be included near the rear of the vehicle.

Initially, the regulation for 1968-1969 required lights or reflectors, which is why some cars in 1968 had amber lights in front and red reflectors in the rear (1968 Ford Motor Company cars, for example). Chrysler vehicles used lights in 1968 and reflectors (on most models) for 1969. This regulation was later amended to require lights and reflectors on all vehicles made on January 1, 1970 or later, which is why most lines had changes to their side marker lights for the 1970 model year.

The regulation required that the side-facing lights and/or reflectors make the vehicle's presence, position, and direction of travel clearly visible to other drivers approaching the vehicle from the side, or at any angle where the headlamps or tail lamps of the vehicle being overtaken cannot be viewed. In other words, other drivers should be able to see your car in darkness regardless of the direction from which they are approaching, and from the color of the light or reflector, be able to tell at a glance which direction your vehicle is facing or moving.

The amended regulation for January 1, 1970 also included the requirement that the parking lamps remain lit during headlamp operation, and that side marker lamps be illuminated whenever the vehicle's parking and tail lamps are on. The parking light revision to the regulation was to make vehicles with a non-functioning headlamp more noticeable to other drivers, and lessened the chance that it might be mistaken for a motorcycle by oncoming traffic.

In 1970-1971, most Ford Motor Company vehicles were equipped with flashing side marker lights that corresponded with the turn signals flashing in the direction of a turn. This was eliminated for the most part for 1972, although many General Motors cars utilize a flashing front (amber) marker light to correspond with turn signals to this day.

These side marker lamps may not be as sophisticated as today's HID or Xenon lights, but they are pretty good when you consider the automotive lighting technology that was available at the time.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. So missing side-markers on a '76 can come from either a PO removing them to suit a taste, or due to body parts being replaced for whatever reason. Rust or accident/off-roading damage being the two most common.

The official statement follows what I've been arguing for years. That I've seen '69 Broncos in both flavors. Just like the mid-year wiper change, I'd have to say that Ford kept the reflectors as long as they could, including early '69 production in the latter part of '68, but changed when they were required to.
Not to say that there weren't some gray areas in the laws between passenger cars and utility vehicles and trucks, but that seems consistent with what we've seen over the years.

I guess we should do another chart one of these days. Just like we did with "77's with and without gas doors" and Viper's "P's and Q's" thread on the '73 model year change.
This time just to find out what changes happened in '69's and when.

Just what we needed... Right?;)

Paul

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the Mustang world, 1968 was supposed to be side marker lights, but I know some 68's had reflectors.

On this '76 question it's bound to be replacement sheet metal or a custom job.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What month was yours built in figo? This '68/69/70 thing is something I've been trying to narrow down. Also, what's the letter in the sixth position of the VIN?

And do you have knowledge of how original the truck was before you got it?

Thanks

Paul