• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whatcha think of my rebuilt gauge cluster?

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
just finished one of the many (started) projects for my 72. i took all the gauges out, cleaned them, painted all the needles, polished the glass, painted the housing and added a new gauge voltage regulator. took alot longer to finish than i expected! just like all the other bronco projects! LOL

Attachments

• cluster.jpg
    cluster.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 243
OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
Thanks! i used an S.O.S pad, that took the black paint off, just ran it under hot water and scrubbed it for awhile. then i used jewelers polish to smooth it out and get that baby to shine! now im wondering if it will be blinding at certain times of the day when the sun hits it just right?

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
dscf2914-small.JPG

I did something similar. I used aircraft stripper to get the black off and then polished the piece with neverdull.

Your cluster looks great! Good job!

badol'74

Loc.
Oxnard
Your gauge cluster looks FANTASTIC! Its amazing what you can do with a little time and elbow grease. Maybe this will motivate me to pull out my cluster and detail it.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
That looks strangely familiar. :cool:

Nice work.

Attachments

• new_speedo.JPG
    new_speedo.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 211

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
Great job on the gauges!
I recently rebuilt mine. I new you could strip off the paint to get to the chrome, I left mine in Purple power cleaner over night and it ate right thru the metal. %)

therd1

Loc.
frankfort
very nice...I was looking at the rebuilt ones from Tom's and this seems like a better idea...thx for saving me a couple of benjamins

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Speaking of gauges

Has anyone come up with an orange paint for the pointers that resists UV fading?

I repainted my needles a couple of years ago with generic day-glo orange paint from a craft store. It looked great at first, but it's already starting to fade (and it doesn't spend much time in the sun, other than when I'm driving.)

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Has anyone come up with an orange paint for the pointers that resists UV fading?

I repainted my needles a couple of years ago with generic day-glo orange paint from a craft store. It looked great at first, but it's already starting to fade (and it doesn't spend much time in the sun, other than when I'm driving.)

I use krylon fluorescent orange paint, its UV resistant, and should last. Time will tell, cant notice any fading after a cupla years in my friends bronco's cluster that I did for him

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I use krylon fluorescent orange paint, its UV resistant, and should last. Time will tell, cant notice any fading after a cupla years in my friends bronco's cluster that I did for him

Thanks! It seemed like overkill to use spray paint on something so tiny, but it sounds like that's the way to go.

I'll just have to figure out what to do with the other 97% of the fluorescent orange paint. ;)