• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats a complete brake job go for $$$?

Warhead13

Loc.
St. Augustine, Fl
I've run out of steam and don't really have the time now and won't until I graduate from college (2 more years) to finish a Disc conversion I started on my '70... Any ideas of what it would cost to have a shop finish the conversion and rebuild the rear drums and run new lines? I'm gonna call around later this week and see what the local shops will do it for(if they will at all), I just wanted to see what type of $$$ I should expect... So , any guesses.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know an offroad shop that charges $700 for the kit (all new parts) and another $250 for install.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I doubt you will find too many places willing to complete the conversion due to liability. Maybe though, who knows. What's got you hung up on your conversion? For me it's lack of parts and money, but the process has been pretty easy so far. Your rear drum brakes should be really easy to replace.

OP
OP
Warhead13

Warhead13

Loc.
St. Augustine, Fl
What's got you hung up on your conversion? For me it's lack of parts and money, but the process has been pretty easy so far. Your rear drum brakes should be really easy to replace.

I have the parts, I have the money ( well, the $$ part is debatable) but, I got wounded in the Middle East back in 2004, My back is now mostly titanium rods and screws and I have nerve damage in my left leg and a myriad of other lil probs that sprung up from the spine damage. So, mobility is my biggest hangup. I actually did a 3.5" lift on the bronco 6 months after the last spine surgery but it took me about 2 months to do it! Would have taken just 6 hours prior to me getting hurt. Anyway, I am mobile but barely, its the getting up and down and sliding around underneath and all that jazz that has me hung up. That and now the VA was gracious enough to send me back to college and that has become my full time occupation so the EB has been neglected and its breaking my heart to have her sit out behind my shed and rust. I do crank her up and drive her around the property a little but w/ no brakes I can't let her run wild. Basically, I'm wanting to drive her regularly and I'm thinking about letting someone else do the job since I don't really want to get into it myself right now.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Dude, that sucks! Sorry about that. I wish I was closer and I would do the work for you. Like 77BroncoWag said, there has to be a brother close that can help you with this.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
there has to be some local yolkals ,, down there some where ,,, to help out a fellow patriot , who has given by blood . for our country ... i am just about as far away from you as i can get , and still be on the same continent ,, but i tell you what ,, i will keep track ,, and if you dont have it done by the middle of july ,, when i am over east .. i will look you up ,,, and by god . guts .. and glory .. it will get done !!!

OP
OP
Warhead13

Warhead13

Loc.
St. Augustine, Fl
Aw man... thanks guys for the offers of help. You guys are making me tear up.
I appreciate the sentiments greatly. After I posted the original thread, I went outside and fired the ol' girl up and moved her to where I'd work on her. I think I'm going to just make the time to do the brakes myself. After all, what kind of hobby would this be if I just let others fix her up instead putting in my own sweat equity into it? It might take me longer than I would like but I hope to have her drivable within the month.