• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats the best oil filter if you have iol presure problems?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
An oil filter wont bring up your oil pressure, if you have low oil pressure it usually means you have a bad bearing in the bottom end. You can try using some thicker weight oil to bring it up some.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=67_super_sport link=board=5;threadid=18951;start=0#msg145148 date=1056071332]
Whats the best oil filter if you want and try to bring your oil presure up?
[/quote]
You are close enough to Duffs there ought to be enough experts there. No filter will bring your pressure up like DT said use a thicker oil.

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
Some people claim fram filters restrict the flow so much that a pressure drop occurs. If you're using a fram now, try switching to a mobil1 filter and see if that helps.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I have seen that K&N has came out with oil filters---they won't improve your pressue but they may be high quailty like their air filters.

Sal

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Try a Motorcraft filter with some 20-50 wt motor oil.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Salgood link=board=5;threadid=18951;start=0#msg145296 date=1056091409]
I have seen that K&N has came out with oil filters---they won't improve your pressue but they may be high quailty like their air filters.

Sal
[/quote]

I currently run a K&N Oil filter on my 351W. So far, I like it but I won't know how good it really is for hopefully many years when I tear down the current engine. It is the most stout oil filter I have ever seen for the SBF. It weighs about 3 times more than any other filter I have seen. Seems to be built very well. I think I am going to open this one up when I pull it off and compare it to the el cheapo Fram. Cost me about 10 bucks. The oil has stayed very clean. I run Amsoil 20W-50 right now year round.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have personally seen a pressure increase from using a fram and then converting over to a motorcraft filter. i use a sandwich type oil cooler adapter with the short newer mustang filter the number is fl-300
Before the addition of the oil cooler I used frams PH-8A and changed to the Motorcraft filter FL1 and had the same increase in pressure. I think this is due to a weaker bypass valve in the Fram filter but I do not know. Filters are cheap just try a new one without an oil change and see what you get.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
When I had read the test results published in Consumer Reports some years ago, they noted that the Motorcraft filter is a 6,000 mile type. This means it will continue to trap harmful particles long after a competitor’s filter service life is done. This design is an indication to me that this filter could possibly be less restrictive than other brands because it demonstrates more filtering area than the average filter. Filters should only bypass when they are clogged or during extreme cold conditions. When I compare the construction of the Motorcraft with the fram, I see where the fram could bypass more easily because of the filtering element design, as well as the weaker bypass spring.

Ok I have exceeded my $.02 worth