• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the best spark plug to run?

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Ok, looking for more knowledge......I don't really know if I should even change them, but I figure I'll give this thing a complete once over so I have a baseline to start from. I have a 351 with some high performance stuff. It has Bosch Platnum's in it now but I heard bad things about these.

What are you guys running and are these Bosch plugs any good?

Thanks,
Mike

Ps. I finally got some Pics in my gallery - what do you all think???

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
no knowledge on good or bad for the bosch platinums.....I've always just kept it in the family & have had good luck with regular motorcraft plugs on the stock motor & the current 315hp rated crate motor.......nice truck you have there

Redleg

I think it is more how you have your engine timed and tuned. Good old Motorcrafts do a good job. The main thing is to have the correct timing to avoid detonation and keep the fuel/air mixture right and you shouldn't have a problem with any of them.

broncofiresmith

I used to work for Autolite spark plugs. Platinum plugs never showed any better results in the test room but the did in the accounting department, It's a money maker for the company. Motorcraft is a good plug (Autolite produces some motorcraft plugs). I have never had any luck big or small engines with Champion. Besides the spark plug gap and using the correct plug for the engine the biggest factor is how the engine is times and tuned. Nice looking Bronco.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Hey Mike
The new pics look awesome

As for the plugs, like the other guys said regular Motorcraft or Autolites are the best way to go. With the price of the Platnums you can change them 3 times a year, and still be ahead of the game. If you had a modern engine that the plugs were a real pain to change, then maybee the platnums would be worth the investments.

One problem I see is the way the previous owner routed the spark plugs wires. You need to get a set of these, or some kind of wire seperators
http://www.made4uproducts.com/v-8 kits.htm

I have to go to the cape today or sunday, so I can bring my timing light, and tools, and check out the timing

Don

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Hey thanks, so it looks like Motorcraft, now it's been a while since I gapped a plug, how do I determine the correct gap? Also I posted a while ago about a sputter in the high Rpms. I corrected alot of it with a timing advance, but it pings, I retarded it back a little and now have a little sputter and a little ping.....kinda of annoying!!!! I replaced the coil (needed it anyway) and changed the cap and rotor still seems the same. I figure new plugs wont hurt either and maybe I get lucky and the sputter clears.

Thanks for all the help!
Mike

Some specs: 351 w/ported and polished 64cc Heads, 10.3 forged Keith Black pistons Mild cam, Edelbrock performer intake, Holley carb, electronic ignition w/8mm wires

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Hey Don, I just saw your post - I'll be around but in and out till later, give me a call, we can hook up later today. Thanks, I'll check that link.

Mike

Hey Don, What do you think of the rear seats?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Hey Don, I just saw your post - I'll be around but in and out till later, give me a call, we can hook up later today. Thanks, I'll check that link.

Mike

Hey Don, What do you think of the rear seats?

seats look cool
I left a message on the 0066 number

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I just noticed that you have 10.3 compression ratio in the engine. If that is true it may cause a little of your pinging problems, especially if you are using a lower octane fuel.

I think we may have to pull and read your plugs. If it is running a little lean, we can richen up the fuel mixture in the carb. Depending what main jets you have I might have a better set of jets for you. I have a few differnt size jets, I can bring with me, allong with a new gasket.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Kane, can mine look like yours someday? PLEASE! you have inspired me to set your truck as my background at work, someday.......

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Kane, can mine look like yours someday? PLEASE! you have inspired me to set your truck as my background at work, someday.......

Ha ha
Hey Randy I got to drive Mikes truck today, and what a nice ride he has. and 2 cute little girls

We installed some Autolite copper plugs, a fuel pressure gage, and bumped the timing to 11 degrees. I also adjusted his steering, since it did wander quite a bit. It turned out it had absoluttly no toe in at all, so I caranked in a fer turns of toe in, and the wander seems to be totally gone.

His truck has inspired me to fix my rear brakes, as that is my weekest link on my truck. Those 4 wheel disks on his truck are awesome.

but mine is still faster, hehe

Last edited:
OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Hey thanks for all the positive feedback!

Hey Don there's always the "Little Blue Bottle that says...I Win!" Thanks for the help today!
Mike

expobronc

my opinion on the bosch platies is that they arent that great. they lasted about 20k in my 98 explorer 5.0 they were worn worse than the original autolites i took out after being in the truck since birth and having 100k on them. i went back to autolite platinums and havent had a problem since.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) I would suggest Motorcraft and stay away fom jap crap and top of the no no list is champion good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

Eoth

Bronco Guru
"Split Fire, you hit the gas and you're gone..."

I don't know why, but my mechanic almost came after me with a baseball bat when he saw that I put Split Fire plugs in it.. He ranted something about only putting normal plugs in a engine like mine (i.e old worn 302)... I don't know if there is any science behind it, but I am going to keep him happy..

jsniper06

Loc.
Crowley, La.
Kane, love the truck, looks great. I like what you have done with the exhaust, oneday I will get around to that. Oh by the way, I use Motorcraft.