• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats the bolt on top of the D44 knuckle for?

PDQ

Contributor
I'm working on routing my front brake lines to my GM calipers as described in the Tech Article from Broncobowsher where they go around the ball joints, and use a clamp that uses the bolt on top of the knuckle to secure them, but I am wondering, what's that bolt even for? And if I modify or use it to hold a clamp, does it affect anything?

If you aren't familiar with the write up, it's the 3/8" bolt on top of the knuckle between the ball joint nut and the rotor.

Anyone else done this? If so have you found clamps that use the 3/8" bolt itself rather than trying to drill and tap the bolt for another bolt?

Thanks as always

chevybrakelines1

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
howdy.

i seem to recall that there was a factory bracket that is held down by that bolt that had flex brake line on one side and hard brake line on the other. its been a long time but that's what i remember. i did not use that bracket for front disc conversion

hank

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it is the same thing I am thinking about, that bolt is a bump stop.
So the tires don’t hit the radius arms, for wider tires you adjust it out.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
howdy.

i seem to recall that there was a factory bracket that is held down by that bolt that had flex brake line on one side and hard brake line on the other. its been a long time but that's what i remember. i did not use that bracket for front disc conversion

hank

Yes and it was for Drum Brakes in the Front...

OP
OP
P

PDQ

Contributor
Not the bump stop bolt, but the bracket for part of a drum brake set up makes sense. I feel better now...great stuff, thank you.