• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the largest tire you can run on a uncut stocker??

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I hear that the BFG SearchFunctions are pretty killer, also. ;D

69red

Loc.
Cochrane, AB,CAN
I've got 235 85R16s on mine -- about a 32" high tire.
you need 16 inch wheels/rims. mine are 16X6 from a willys jeep.

3.5 gears are a bit high; 4.11 would be better.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I hear that the BFG SearchFunctions are pretty killer, also. ;D

LOL that sentence makes no sense?? Let me guess, sent from you Droid phone?? LOL

PS Even though my rear fenders are cut, my 33x9.50x 15's rub on the front of the front fenders. Would probably be a problem on the rear...

bmbm

33's

I think some have used 33x9.50 15 on stock rims with minimal front fender trimming.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
LOL that sentence makes no sense?? Let me guess, sent from you Droid phone?? LOL

No, just poking fun at the original poster for not using the search function on a topic that has been beaten to death in the past. ;D

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
I am running 31x10.50x15 now and things are too close for my liking. I want enough room to slap on a set of chains when necessary

Bluesclues73

Do you guys think a 32/11.5/15 will clear with a 1.5" coil up front and stock height 10 leaf springs in back? I was thinking i might have to run a different radius arm for steering clearance at full lock. I'd like to run as little lift as possible, this isn't a trail rig, just weekend cruiser/nice weather ride. Any opinions/suggestions? Thanks for the help!

- Eddie

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the first question, depends on the wheel offset as much as anything.

For yours yellowranger, it's even more important. Especially in the rear.
A 32/1150 will fit in the front with no lift, but depending on your individual vehicle, might need the rear inner lip of the front opening trimmed back a bit. My buddy's 72 ran them with no cutting, but my '71 fit much better after I added flares and cut the rear inner lip.
For an uncut rear? Well, it's been done, and I'm sure you'll get pictures soon from those that have done it, but I'd say to fit that tire you'd need some pretty good backspacing to pull the wheels farther in, so that when they pivot up they won't bash the body.

Wait till the others talk though, they know from experience, rather than just watching from the sidelines like me! ;D

Paul

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
If you want a guaranteed fit that you can bolt on with no trimming, bending, or modifications of any kind, like Explorer said 235/ 75/ R15's will fit nicely. That is what I put on my completely stock '66.

(That assumes you are also using stock wheels.)

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
wyflyer, Devin, no, actually sent from my I-Phone (good guess though) was sitting at La Carreta restaurant waitin' for my table to enjoy cinco-di' mayo and a few Coronhas. Please excuse the CB sins of all sins :p

patterdale

Bronco Guru
The ownwers manual for my 1970 says H78-15 is the biggest and I have it written down from another post here that 33x9.50x15 is the biggest people have gotten by with. I had G78-15 bias plys on stock rims on my old 76 and the fronts rubbed the radius arms at full stop. The rears were fine.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
wyflyer, Devin, no, actually sent from my I-Phone (good guess though) was sitting at La Carreta restaurant waitin' for my table to enjoy cinco-di' mayo and a few Coronhas. Please excuse the CB sins of all sins :p

While the search function is a useful tool, if everyone used it, there would be very little traffic on this site. Everything has been answered at one time or another. Ask anything you want.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I've seen lots of LUBR's running 33x10.50x15's. That is of course with a suspension lift (maybe 3.5 inches or so). Backspacing on the wheels is probably pretty key. (at LEAST 3.5 inches likely).

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
While the search function is a useful tool, if everyone used it, there would be very little traffic on this site. Everything has been answered at one time or another. Ask anything you want.

Yep, and don't mind the occasional prodding from people when you ask a question that is quite possibly the most common question asked on this site.

Bluesclues73

The ownwers manual for my 1970 says H78-15 is the biggest and I have it written down from another post here that 33x9.50x15 is the biggest people have gotten by with. I had G78-15 bias plys on stock rims on my old 76 and the fronts rubbed the radius arms at full stop. The rears were fine.

I may try the 33x9x5. My main concern with the 32 was the 11.5" width hitting the rear fenders since I'm not going to cut them up higher. I'd like to keep it close to stock height, just because of preference, and as I said, this wont see trail duty but for the occasional fire road. 99% highway. I'm fine with re-gearing as well, all in due time! Thanks for the help guys!

- Eddie