• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats your guys opinion on the Millermatic 130 welder?

Accordngs

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Hey guys,

I've been looking at a few different cheaper welders for a little while now. I just got rid of my no-name welder. I obviously want the best I can get in the under $300 range (yes, I know thats really low for a good welder but my budget is very limited)

Anyways, I found a guy that will sell me his Millermatic 130 for $275. From what I've read it seems like a decent price.

I tried googling and couldn't get much info on the welder.

So hopefully the wealth of knowledge can help me out and let me know if I'm on the right path here.

Thanks!

Things I need to weld - maybe some sheet metal, rear shock mount, custom seat brackets, repair end of frames where stock bumper bolts on, maybe some other small jobs. Nothing huge.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Are you sure it is a 130 and not a Millermatic 135?

I love my Miller 135, especiall for doing body/sheetmetal work for sure. Great welder!

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm running an older Millermatic 130xp and love it. Great little welder,especially on gas. Flux is good, but alot more clean up work.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Go with the Millermatic 175 if you can find it in your price range.
It may be a couple hundred more but 230V is always good to have that option for thicker metals (frame and suspension). IMHO

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a Millermatic 130 and its been great for years. Does all I need to do on a Bronco

Blue71

OP
OP
Accordngs

Accordngs

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Are you sure it is a 130 and not a Millermatic 135?

I love my Miller 135, especiall for doing body/sheetmetal work for sure. Great welder!

Yea, its the 130. And not the 130XP either.

I think it was replaced by the 135 and later the 140. Its probably a bit older.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming if you know more!

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I have the Hobart as well. It's never failed me and I've done some pretty big stuff with it (couple 16' custom trailers, misc frame repairs, etc) I love it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Good welder. Does it have the gas kit on it?
Works good as a hobby machine, ¼" is small amounts is doable.
If all you have is 110V it is about the best choice there is.

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
I've got the 135. Awesome machine. Sold my Lincoln 255 because the little Miller did everything I ever needed. Not a single issue with it in 4 years of pretty steady use.

fwilder

I'm on the red team. Go Lincoln. Anyway I've got a 140 and a 180. And have used down to 125s. They are all good. I think if you buy one of these brands in that range that hasn't been punished it will be good. PS the 125 and 135 lincolns I used were in a shop class. Those machines were hammered and still worked well.

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
we had a couple of 130 at my school it was great for sheet metal, I'd grab it just watch your metal thickness you will be fne.

OP
OP
Accordngs

Accordngs

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Good welder. Does it have the gas kit on it?
Works good as a hobby machine, ¼" is small amounts is doable.
If all you have is 110V it is about the best choice there is.

He doesn't have any tanks with it, but I can hopefully grab some for a good deal later.

Right now all I do have is 110V so I am happy to hear someone say this is a good option for that!

I am already a terrible welder...so I've been hoping getting a better welder might help compensate for some of my lack of skills, lol.

Anyone in San Diego want to give some free welding lessons? I'll throw in a 12 pack of your choice! ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
He doesn't have any tanks with it, but I can hopefully grab some for a good deal later.

Right now all I do have is 110V so I am happy to hear someone say this is a good option for that!

I am already a terrible welder...so I've been hoping getting a better welder might help compensate for some of my lack of skills, lol.

Anyone in San Diego want to give some free welding lessons? I'll throw in a 12 pack of your choice! ;D

Even without a tank still look for a gas kit. A gas shield on the torch and hose (preferably with regulator) would be a great bonus. If not I am sure it can be upgraded later. When you get your CO2 for the rig, that same bottle can be used for the welder;);) May need an adapter. Although I run Argon with my MIG I have the adapter for those time I run out of gas. Easy enough to borrow the CO2 to finish a project. Don't feel bad about runing the Argon mix down to nothing before refilling knowing that it isn't the end of the world (at least the day of welding that is).

OP
OP
Accordngs

Accordngs

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Even without a tank still look for a gas kit. A gas shield on the torch and hose (preferably with regulator) would be a great bonus. If not I am sure it can be upgraded later. When you get your CO2 for the rig, that same bottle can be used for the welder;);) May need an adapter. Although I run Argon with my MIG I have the adapter for those time I run out of gas. Easy enough to borrow the CO2 to finish a project. Don't feel bad about runing the Argon mix down to nothing before refilling knowing that it isn't the end of the world (at least the day of welding that is).

Thanks for the info.

I picked up the welder last night. It looks extremely clean and very lightly used. I am pretty happy with it. It even came with the Miller instructional video...only problem is... who owns a VHS player anymore? lol

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info.

I picked up the welder last night. It looks extremely clean and very lightly used. I am pretty happy with it. It even came with the Miller instructional video...only problem is... who owns a VHS player anymore? lol

i still have a couple but got rid of the beta;D should be a pretty good welder

OP
OP
Accordngs

Accordngs

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Lol.

I only have a DVD player and I hardly even use that. It's so much easier to just stream things online now....OnDemand...NetFlix, etc.

My old man used to have a VHS to DVD converter...gotta see if its still working.