• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

whats your take on SHOCKS

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
Ok so what is your take on shocks???
I am in need of shocks and I run a stock hight rig with 31's I use it mostly for Hiway and dirt road running no real hard core rocks or anything.
I am on a budget and was goning to head down and just get some shocks from autozone (I also need a new stabizer). I would love to have ranchos but just don't have the cash :(

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Since your budget is tight, shop around the local parts stores. Ask for a shock for a 2-3" lifted Bronco, this will give you a longer shock, and more down travel. I just put 2 RS5000 (pn RS5112) on the back for under $75 from VIP, they work pretty good.

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
IS there such a thing as a 70/30 shock? One with valving that is heavier on the up than on the down? I seem to remember hearing somthing about those a few years back.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The Edelbrock shock is a great street shock for trucks and pretty good on fire roads, etc. Not good for real wheeling tho.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I've found the Superlift Hydros to ride quite comfy but still damp well, piston must be mounted UP however (no gas blanket), valving on 'em I'd say is around 70/30 too.

fastmusicfan

Loc.
Bluffton, SC
Edelbrock makes a shock that fits a unlifted bronco with stock shock towers? Anybody know a part number or anything? Thanks in advance. Tom

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
[quote author=fastmusicfan link=board=5;threadid=19192;start=0#msg147335 date=1056508881]
Edelbrock makes a shock that fits a unlifted bronco with stock shock towers? Anybody know a part number or anything? Thanks in advance. Tom
[/quote]

Go Here! http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/ias_shocks_ford.html
They don't have a listing for the EB, :'( but they do have an application for the '78-'79 BB. "So what?" you may be asking. ???
Well when I open my Rancho Catalog it says the EBs and the eBBs require the exact same shocks, front and rear. 33209 front, & 34207 rear. I haven't been able to find the actual specs of the Edelbrocks so I won't promise they're a perfect fit.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Q: Who make shocks that fit the stock mounts with the stock ride hieght?

A: Nobody makes a shock that fits a stock Bronco very well.

At rest, the shock mounts in the rear are about 18" apart. At full droop the mounts are abount 24" apart, and a good bounce will compress it all 'till there is only about 11". The stock spring are pretty darn flexy :D

So the ideal shock for the stock Bronco will have about 14" stroke, and compress to a length of 11".
Can anyone see a problem with these desired measurements? Any shock that is short enough to not be crushed during heavy compression is too short to connect the shock mounts while at rest. What to do?

Cheapest solution is to add about 4" to the axle bump stops. This will make room for a longer canned shock AND give a good ballance of compression and extension. The down side is you lose about half your available travel. The up side is it's still better than a jsheep.
For the best shock solution there is a number aftermarket shock mounts that will totally allow you to use every inch of travel, leaving the jsheep boys blushing with from inadequacy.

Just food for thought.