• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel backspacing question

Dan_W

Loc.
Upper Falls, MD
I am going to run a 3.5" suspension lift with a 1" body lift. The tires I want to run are 305/70/17 which works out to be a 34" X 12" tire. The two kinds of rims are looking at are a 17X9 with a 4-5/8" and a 17X10 with a 4-1/2" backspace. Will either of these work without rubbing? What is he biggest amount of backspacing you can have with this size tire without the tires rubbing? I will have a Dana 44 up front with discs. Thanks

kntr

Bronco Guru
I am going to run a 3.5" suspension lift with a 1" body lift. The tires I want to run are 305/70/17 which works out to be a 34" X 12" tire. The two kinds of rims are looking at are a 17X9 with a 4-5/8" and a 17X10 with a 4-1/2" backspace. Will either of these work without rubbing? What is he biggest amount of backspacing you can have with this size tire without the tires rubbing? I will have a Dana 44 up front with discs. Thanks

I run a 17x10 and 305/70/17s with 4" BS and no rubbing. Ive heard a few guys have problems with the 4.5" on the front shock mounts. Do a search

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Dan,
Kanter helped me on a previous post in the Chat section if you want to check out my post. I think he is running the same set up you want.
I will be running the same setup you are looking at except I am looking at 35" tires.

At this point in my searching I am thinking about getting the rims I want but put spacers behind the wheels. From what I have read even if you found a 9" or 10" wide rim with 3.5 or 3.75 of back spacing (I have not been able to find one) you will have the same concerns as if you ran a spacer.
From my research the concern is the wheels center of gravity being out to far with or without a spacer and it may cause the ball joints to wear out sooner.

I got this information from this site: http://www.4x4review.com/products/suspension/spacers.asp

For me, I want the 17" rim and will deal with the ball joints if they become an issue. I think the only way you could come close is by getting a 17X8 wheel with 4" of backspacing but I don't know if an 8" wide wheel will be an issue for the big tires we are looking at.

kntr

Bronco Guru
Look at www.IONALLOY.com

They have some 17x9 and 17x10 with 4" backspacing. If I was going to do it again, I would just save up and get a set of Walker Evans 17x8.5 in a 3.75" BS. I wanted chrome though. I keep my bronco pretty clean so chrome works for me. The Wlaker Evans wheels are polished.

Here is a pic of mine.
Bronco9.jpg

Last edited: