• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel Polishing

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Who is polishing wheels these days? Looking for them to be nice and shinny... %)

Or a method even this idiot can follow and not ruin these bad boys.

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Want them to shine like yours!

Would like one more 15 x 10 if anyone knows of one as well.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
Mine had some corrosion on them. I started with a 1500 grit sand paper then moved to 2000 grit and finished with some Mothers aluminum polish. They turned out good. Had I not let them get so bad I think they would have polished up real well. The corrosion left spots that I could not get out. Yours look better than mine did when I started. I think yours would look good with a little elbow grease. I wet sanded them by the way.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
who's mine? :cool:

Attachments

• work.jpg
    work.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 111

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
you should see when i wax my legs! %)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The last bad ones I did i wet sanded with 800 grit, 1200, acid washed, then 2000 grit, then many hours with a mothers ball and aluminum polish. I would never do that much work on something of mine..... added it up, if I had paid my self labor and paid for materials I could have bought a new set of wheels with money left over..... but if its a old wheel not made anymore (like you slots) its a different storry but LOTS of work.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Bunch of Cotton polishing buffs for your drill and some brown, white and red polishing compounds. Use a different pad for each color. Start out brown and work your way down to red. If they are really bad you start out with black. Finish off with mothers. This is assuming that these wheels are magnesium with no clear. Took me about 3 hours per wheel but mine were REALLY bad.

popedaddy

Loc.
Central Mississippi
I used the flitz aluminum cleaner and then followed up with flitz polish.
Look up there products on youtube for the process - pretty simple.

its also reasonable priced on amazon. took me probably 6 hours to do them all.

im sure they could look better but for the money I think this is the easiest way to go. i never got into sanding, etc and mine looked just about like yours.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
This is still fresh on my mind because my fingers are just now about healed from polishing a set of slots. There is professional polishers that have fancy equipment and they probably do it a lot faster, but with diligence, anyone can do it.

The wheels I started with were '70s vintage Western 8.5" slots. They were in really nice shape with no curb rash or scratches. Someone had painted the slot openings black so the first step was to plastic media blast off the black so the cast would show.

I started with 320 and wet sanded until all the machine lines in the wheels were gone. I then progressed with 400, 600, 1000, 1500, and 2,000 grit paper. The wheels were actually beginning to shine with the 2,000 grit paper and the machine polisher with Flitz polish finished the job. The most time is with the first sanding to remove the machine lines and get the surface really smooth. It took me much longer than some of the others posted. I finally timed it on the last two wheels. it took me 6 to 7 hours per wheel!

The first picture is the clean wheel and the second picture in the far right is a wheel that is finished sanding, but not polished. The left wheel in the second picture is the finished product!

Attachments

• slot wheels 2.JPG
    slot wheels 2.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 62
  • slot wheels 1.jpg
    slot wheels 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 96

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Who is polishing wheels these days? Looking for them to be nice and shinny... %)

Or a method even this idiot can follow and not ruin these bad boys.

Just remember magnesium dust is combustible.
And it is not really existinguishable ....
It is more complicated than that some one will chime in with the correct answe, just be careful firing up a stoagie during the polishing and sanding effort.
By the way all those polished slots look cool.
Did mine in the 80's. I was younger and tougher then....polishing a rough set of 4 mags is quite the job....

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
there used to be a website polishmywheels but it is no longer up. he sold kits and you could also send him your wheels. did anyone who bought the kit remember what polishing materials were used?