• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheeling in CA over the weekend!

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
That trail brings back memories. I grew up near there (in Big Creek) and we took our bone stock 1970 into Red lake towing a small luggage trailer with an aluminuim fishing boat on the top. It took several hours and we had to stop to let the clutch cool off a couple of times. I think we had to unhook the trailer a couple of times and drag it with a chain over a rock or two. After a couple of days camping at Red lake we left the trailer there and made it in to Coyote lake. We could have walked there faster as it was a very tough trail for a stock bronco.

We passed several folks during that trip who said we were crazy and we would never make it in there with our trailer, but hey, they were in jeeps and scouts, so they obviously didn't know what they were talking about. I guess I should mention that we did this trip in about 1972! Wow, now I feel like an old fart (even though I was only 11 at the time). Still have the bronco in the family and it still looks like new! Some day, I'll convince my dad to part with it and it can live in my garage here in Texas.

Maybe some day I can trailer my current bronco out there and do the trail again along with the Dusy Ershim trail (sigh....that's a long way to tow).

From the looks of those pictures you had a great time and it's always fun to perform a trail side rescue.

Glenn

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
broncotime said:
That trail brings back memories. I grew up near there (in Big Creek) and we took our bone stock 1970 into Red lake towing a small luggage trailer with an aluminuim fishing boat on the top. It took several hours and we had to stop to let the clutch cool off a couple of times. I think we had to unhook the trailer a couple of times and drag it with a chain over a rock or two. After a couple of days camping at Red lake we left the trailer there and made it in to Coyote lake. We could have walked there faster as it was a very tough trail for a stock bronco.

We passed several folks during that trip who said we were crazy and we would never make it in there with our trailer, but hey, they were in jeeps and scouts, so they obviously didn't know what they were talking about. I guess I should mention that we did this trip in about 1972! Wow, now I feel like an old fart (even though I was only 11 at the time). Still have the bronco in the family and it still looks like new! Some day, I'll convince my dad to part with it and it can live in my garage here in Texas.

Maybe some day I can trailer my current bronco out there and do the trail again along with the Dusy Ershim trail (sigh....that's a long way to tow).

From the looks of those pictures you had a great time and it's always fun to perform a trail side rescue.

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

That woudl be a lot of fun! Drop me a line if you are ever in this area again and we'll go back up there. You probably wouldn't even recognize this trail anymore. It changes every year from all of the traffic that it gets now. I've never been on the Dusy trail yet, but that is on my "to do" list next year for sure!

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I would be intrested in that run as well. I haven't been to Coyote for 5 or 6 years. I remember going there w/ my grandfather as a kid around 1984 in his stock bronco (now mine and not so stock.) Back then my dad and a friend drove a stock suburban and 3/4 ton truck into Red Lake, we spent a lot of time waiting for them to get unstuck. We stayed at Red Lake and one day drove to Coyote in the Bronco. It would be pretty tuff to get a stock Bronco past Red lake these days.

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
jimmyhat said:
crawln68 where did you get those caps from on the rears that are diamondplate?

I'm not sure what you are referring to? ( I see that I'm not the only one that doesn't sleep!) ;D

jimmyhat

Diamondplate rear black chunks kinda like rock gaurds
Yeah never get enough sleep these days

I was going to post up a picture but figured you knew what i meant?

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
crawlin that rig is awesome, having seen it in person at the 40th and on the trail (hammers). plus, doing that work yourself, great !

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
jimmyhat said:
Diamondplate rear black chunks kinda like rock gaurds
Yeah never get enough sleep these days

I was going to post up a picture but figured you knew what i meant?

Ahhh..Ok, sorry it was late last night when I read your post. It's not diamond plate, that's what threw me. It's hydro-formed 3/16 plate. They are the BC Broncos quarter panel protectors. They are an awesome piece of body armour! I've used them several time already! ;D

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
mtfit said:
crawlin that rig is awesome, having seen it in person at the 40th and on the trail (hammers). plus, doing that work yourself, great !

Thanks! Did we meet at the 40th? Did you have your Bronco there? I didn't get to do as much of the Hammers trials as I wanted to. I guess another trip down south next year is in order. :p

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
yes, I had my silver rig their from Pennsylvania, we where on the same trail ride to the hammers.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
ah, the one with the hansen bumper and the cool drilled F250 mounts?

Attachments

• DSCN0589.JPG
    DSCN0589.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 31

jimmyhat

crawln68 said:
Ahhh..Ok, sorry it was late last night when I read your post. It's not diamond plate, that's what threw me. It's hydro-formed 3/16 plate. They are the BC Broncos quarter panel protectors. They are an awesome piece of body armour! I've used them several time already! ;D

bc broncos huh i thought they were in bc as in canada!

Darn i need a couple things from that place now!

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
mtfit said:
yes, I had my silver rig their from Pennsylvania, we where on the same trail ride to the hammers.

Ahh yes, I remember you well. Sorry, I didn't know your screen name here. You are crazy! You say that I have a nice rig!!?? Yours is a work of art! For anyone that has not seen this rig in person, WOW you are missing out on seeing one of nicest, cleanest rigs around!!

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
broncoslayer said:
Nice Picts. The weather was great. I ran Coyote on Friday and Swamp on sat. I would have liked to check your rigs out.

I was up on Bald Mt. yesterday. We must have just missed eachother. Next time you are coming over here, shoot me a PM and I'd love to meet up with you and go tear up the trails! Oh yeah, and where are the pics of your trip!?