• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where are the Original grounding straps/points on a 76... Early Saturday Challenge

deluxe

Maybe we should start a competition called ESC (Early Saturday Challenge). Then everyone could wake up on a Saturday and learn/share something new. Just a thought.

I have a stock 76 and have been chasing some demons over the past while and it seems that most of it can be traced back to grounding issues. I have started to fix the issues but I am not replacing stock equipment but just adding what I think makes sense at the time. Can anyone tell me where to find the original grounding straps for engine to body and body to frame are on a 76. Some have suggested the back of the manifold to the firewall but I am going to have to request pictures since I seem to have nothing of the sort. I just replaced my body mounts and I know there wasn't a jumper there for the body to frame grounding. Pictures and descriptions are welcome but please be specific as I haven't been able to find them yet. Also, any information as to the IDEAL grounding places and schemes would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still awake too. Lucky you.;D
It might just be that I was right and the Earlies did not come with those straps at all. Even your later '76 model. Mine's only a '71, but my friend's '77 does not have any. Never did while he's had it, but it's been through several owners so I couldn't be sure. But let me say it this way. I've NEVER seen any kind of ground straps, other than what I described in your other thread, on an Early Bronco.
I didn't say it that way before because I know how these things are. Just when you're sure they did it one way, someone has a Bronco that was different. Right from the factory.

When I mentioned previously about the body straps, I was referring only to later, full-size trucks (like the '78/'79 models). As I said though, never seen them on an Early Bronco. I should'a made that clear, but I was rambling already.

If any earlies had the straps, I hope someone has pics because I'd be interested as well.
I don't know if I can post a pic of mine, but if not I can e-mail you a shot of where I put my own grounds based on later factory mounting on the back of the manifold.

Basically though, which exact bolt they go to is not as important as the fact that they're there. I just used a bolt behind the carb (probably where the linkage mounts) to an exiting bolt on the firewall. Probably the backside of the heater core, if I remember.
Or you can just drill an out of the way hole and use a sheet-metal screw to anchor it. Pick any spot you like.

Your starter relay (solenoid) should get sufficient ground through the body as long as you have even one decent ground lead from the battery to the body.
Therefore a single strap from the manifold to the body might be sufficient, but if you want to make sure, run one from the negative battery terminal to the body. Is that what you did already?

Wherever you added the new ground lead is probably a good fix for now. (edited after reading your other answer)

Paul

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
Sheet metal screws suck, they will strip or corrode after awhile.
For the solenoid use a nut & bolt, I prefer weld nuts.
For the ground strap, get one of the braided ones about 24"x1" wide, find a bolt on the back of the motor and run the other end to the frame, open the braid in the middle giving slack on both sides for motor movement and secure it to the body, I use a bolt welded in from the passengers compartment and a nut on the fire wall side.