• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where can I get one of those green ignition rings?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
The plastic ring that fits over the ignition switch broke in half when I changed out the switch last week. Anyone know where I can get another?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, looks like we're going to need one more pic of that nice looking truck of yours Heuss.
Darn.

Paul

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Its not the chrome bezel but rather the trim ring that fits over the tumbler to fill in the gap between the tumbler and the switch.

Arrow pointing to what I'm talking about (this one looks chrome) - borrowed the pic from Jeepster.

Attachments

• ignitionswitch2.jpg
    ignitionswitch2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 130

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never heard of anyone buying "components" of a switch unfortunately. It's just not a normal service item. You buy either a new tumbler with key, a new switch, or both. That's all I've ever seen.
Then again, I've never broken that particular piece either, so haven't exactly looked for it.

Good luck, but I'd say you're looking at a new tumbler. Unless you can find an old switch that you can pull that piece out of that is.
Didn't you just buy a new switch recently?

Paul

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
The arrow in the photo looks like its pointing to part of the bezel to me...

This is just a guess, but maybe the switch itself was replaced sometime in the past and the replacement switch came with a plastic liner?

Or, maybe you had the last original plastic liner in existence and it finally gave up the ghost...

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I just purchased a new switch and a new tumbler. Neither came with a trim ring. I'm sure I can fab something up to fit...

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Took a couple of pics.

First pic you can see the gap

Second pic is what's left of the trim ring. Its a light green see thru color, plastic, and has grooves or tabs where it lined up with the original ignition switch.

Attachments

• junk 001.jpg
    junk 001.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 51
  • junk 002.jpg
    junk 002.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 41

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I knew what you were talking about, but still have never seen one for sale as a separate piece. You probably have a converted switch, or one of the many manufacturers does, or used to, do it that way.

Is yours set up to be a lighted switch by any chance? Extra tabs anywhere not being used? Extra holes for a light bulb? That's what that type of ring usually says to me. You see them on the lighted cigarette lighters too.
Hmm, maybe you can pick up a lighted lighter from the accessory store and use the one from it? Assuming it's got all the same notches and tabs of course, but the diameter should be pretty darn close I would think.
Just a thought.

Personally though, I think that, if it didn't come with the new switch, it isn't needed in the new swtich.
Are you going to try to stick with the old (now broken) switch? Or use the new one?

Paul

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I knew what you were talking about, but still have never seen one for sale as a separate piece. You probably have a converted switch, or one of the many manufacturers does, or used to, do it that way.

Is yours set up to be a lighted switch by any chance? Extra tabs anywhere not being used? Extra holes for a light bulb? That's what that type of ring usually says to me. You see them on the lighted cigarette lighters too.
Hmm, maybe you can pick up a lighted lighter from the accessory store and use the one from it? Assuming it's got all the same notches and tabs of course, but the diameter should be pretty darn close I would think.
Just a thought.

Personally though, I think that, if it didn't come with the new switch, it isn't needed in the new swtich.
Are you going to try to stick with the old (now broken) switch? Or use the new one?

Paul

Hmmm, thanks for the ideas. I've got a few tumblers, maybe I'll see if they have a different diameter. Its not a big deal, I'll figure something out.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
The first thing I thought of also was a lighted switch where the green ring glowed. The second thought was aftermarket. My third thought was just buy a new bezel from toms for the Bronco.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
somehow that tumbler looks diff than the stock one

Attachments

• ign 001.jpg
    ign 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 10
  • ign 002.jpg
    ign 002.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 4
  • ign 003.jpg
    ign 003.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10
  • ign 004.jpg
    ign 004.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 4

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Hues, I can't tell if its just the photo or not, but does your bezel have a raised lip around the center like the one posted by 22213evl? If it doesn't then you might have a different switch assembly (maybe out of an older ford truck? I dunno). If it does have the lip, then I don't see why you can't run without the plastic piece since nobody else has one either.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Good point Hal. No, it doesn't have that lip. I think we've solved the mystery!