• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where does the parking brake install??

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
PO must have replaced some metal, I can't figure out how to mount this thing inside the cab. Any pictures to orient myself would help, thanks guys

Last edited:

BRONCOBERT

It bolts to the bottom of the dash and two spots on the angled part of the floor along with an indented hole to run the cable through.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, sounds like someone filled them in at some point maybe.
If you look on the engine compartment side of that area, is there a vertical brace (looks like a u-channel welded to the firewall) in about the spot you think your pedal might go?
If so, that was where the holes used to be. It's an additional brace for that high-stress area when you're really cranking on the pedal.

Got pics of your floor and pedal so we can see what you're working with?
There are also pics hereabouts, but I haven't saved any handy links for you to check out. I'll do it if I come across some, but do some digging too, if you haven't already.
Seems to me I saw some pics of the area just recently in fact.
Hmm again. PM thegreatjustino here. For some reason I remember him posting up. Maybe it was one of his pics? Don't know, but might be worth a call. Tell him I was bandying his name about maliciously, so he won't get too upset and being disturbed! ;D
Just kidding. He's got some good pics of a lot of different things. Maybe he can help.
I've only got pics of the brake mechanism and some of the cable routing underneath.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Here are some pics, I am going to have to spot weld the little cable bracket on once I find out where. When you don't take things apart you find out what needs to be welded AFTER the bed liner was sprayed

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 88

hewie73

Loc.
Morrice, MI
I might be able to clarify some of this. The park brake cable floor mount goes right over that hole in your floor panel (hole closest to the kick panel).

In your case(with the bedliner already sprayed). I would not try to spot weld the mount to the floor, simply drill 4 small holes in the mount, spray some bedliner in a can on it, bolt it on, then touch up the bolts. Seen lot of guys do this.

The park brake mechanism is as described above. One bolt to bottom of dash. Two bolts to the front. If the PO replaced the panel where the two front bolts go then the reinforcement bracket (engine side) may not be there..

hope this helps, Chad

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Okay so the park brake floor mount goes on that hole to the left with the little hole above it. and the high beam foot switch goes on the bottom big hole there close to the bend?

hewie73

Loc.
Morrice, MI
I had to go look at one of mine. . upper hole is for wiring thru firewall. hole above ribbed panel is for air vent drain. hi/low headlight switch is surface mounted( no hole). you may have to drill for cable floor mount. looks like i was a panel off

BRONCOBERT

Sorry the mechanism bolts to the firewall not the angled part of the floor, but the cable does go through the angled part of the floor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the pics you can see a kind of a "lump" jut to the left of the strengthening ribs. Probably about where the cable went through it's reinforced hole.
Unfortunately, it wasn't just a simple hole, but you could probably make do with one.

The standard hole for the later years was a fairly robust square reinforcing plate with a bit of a dome in the middle where the cable's outer clamping legs would hold. Yours appears to be a '71 or later (based on the wiring hole) so would have had the full reinforcement plate.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OH, and it looks too, like you lost your clutch rod hole too? If so, at least that one is mostly a plain hole. Might have originally had a stamped edge around it to help seal the boot, but a plain hole works too.
If you're keeping the clutch that is.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And one more thing...
You might not see them with your eyes, but I swear I can see where the old parking brake bracket holes were too. Just to the right of the wiring harness hole, with one above and one below.

Look closely at your first pic and I bet you can see what I'm talking about.
Ooops! Just looked at your second pic and see that at least the upper hole is still open. If I'm not mistaken, that's your key to aligning your parking brake bits. Just bolt in that hole and make your own for the lower one if it's not open.

Have fun.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Is it critical that the parking brake be mounted up that high? Before the last comments of explaining that little hole above the wiring hole was the top one, I have drilled new holes elsewhere about halfway down the firewall, my top hole is about where the bottom hole should be, that is just what lined up tight when I mocked it, will this be sufficient?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• BajaResto2008-Day11 005.jpg
    BajaResto2008-Day11 005.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 93

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guess I was wrong then. I thought I remembered putting wires through the big hole and having to wrestle them next to the pedal assembly. Looks like they are lower like you say.
I was going to say to your question that it probably is just as good where you have them if it seems to line up correctly for yours, but now you have your proof.
I'll have to go out and look to see what is in that upper hole then. Not sure.

Thanks Baja.

Paul

Baja71

Bronco Guru
The upper big hole gets the wiring harness, the lower big hole is for the vent drain. The two small holes are bolt holes for the brake bracket and the recessed hole gets the brake cable.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, but I was talking about that small hole just above and to the right of the big wire hole.
Kind of in-line with the parking brake mounting holes below, but nearer the top of the firewall. Just can't remember if that was stock and what it was for, or if it might have been drilled.
Haven't had a chance to go look at mine yet, to see if I have one there too.

Paul

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Open the hood, remove the plastic piece on the drivers side near the firewall. Don't know what to call it but it is opposite the cab air intake. From there you should be able to look through the hole and see a stiffening rib spot welded to the firewall on the engine side. That rib has two holes where the parking brake mounts through the firewall.