• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

where should the top of the radiator be?

NJBronco

Is the radiator suppost to be flush with the top of the core support? I'm looking to install an explorer radiator, but I can't tell what height to put it at. I don't have the original radiator to measure and/or install and see what height it sits at.

pics would be great!!

broncoman805

Loc.
Oxnard, CA
If running a stock fan, I would line the radiator up with the fan as close to the middle of the radiator as possible.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Install the radiator so the fan is in the middle of the shroud.

You are installing a shroud, right?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have the explorer radiator and installed it at the same height as the original one and the cap hit the hood. Had to massage it a bit. The. I put a 1 inch body lift on and had to drop the rad to line up with the fan. So. My suggestion is to make sure you have done all the mods u want to. Then put the shroud on the fan and mount it so the dan is in the center of the shroud. My 2 cents

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Stock frame to body height, stock 302, but with an upgraded radiator and modified shroud for all my belts... bah. Here is a pic. Oh, um, had to modify the radiator top mounts to clear the fan to radiator, pull the radiator forward as far as possible. No clue if that helps you or not. Basically, this new radiator sat on the stock mounts in the stock holes underneath, then I leaned it towards the front of the truck, modifying the top mounts.

Attachments

• cell phone pics 191.jpg
    cell phone pics 191.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 34
  • cell phone pics 193.jpg
    cell phone pics 193.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Yes I'm running a shroud. But I know my radiator is 3-4 inches taller then stock. I guess I have to wait for the motor to be back in so i can see the shroud and fan allignment. I have a 2" body lift so I should have room to play. I'm hoping this week to get the front of the tub blasted and patched up. So tied of looking at my piles of parts.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
This is where I mounted mine - ditched the factory mounts and just two bolts through the core support.
IMG_20130615_102444_563_zpsaf4fff0b.jpg

Same deal when I lost the core support-
20140723_221351_zpsxkoiwct1.jpg