• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where should the charcoal canister be mounted

tacobronco

Just another idea: I found a skinny one at the junkyard (still Ford), and mounted it as high as I could and as far back as I could between the inner and outer fenders on the driver's side. Eliminated the gas smell without cluttering up the engine compartment.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
the design concept is that the excess vapors get routed back to the air filter housing / intake of the engine so they can be burned rather than evaporate to atmosphere

OP
OP
LOVNBRONCOS

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
Rox : Thats what I thought to, thanks. Need to add the nipple to my air filter and run the hose. WOW emissions on Mon. and hopefully back on the road after 2 years.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the spot. There is also a metal shield that goes on the front of the canister to protect it from rocks.

for the future if anyone's reading this thread and is looking at the canister mounted on the frame, I have a bad picture of the metal shield that protects it as a reference.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 219

Baja71

Bronco Guru
for the future if anyone's reading this thread and is looking at the canister mounted on the frame, I have a bad picture of the metal shield that protects it as a reference.

You can also barely see it in one of the pics I posted.

bags22

I have a 68 that either the previous owner removed the charcoal canister or never had one. When my Bronco sits in the garage all night, the smell in the morning is really bad. The aux tank has two breather lines that are just sitting open, not attahed to anything. Obviously this is probably where the smell is coming from, but my question is, will installing a charcoal canister solve this? Should i just cap them?
Any solution offerings are very welcome.

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can probably do either bags. But if it was me, I'd try to put an evap system on it anyway.
You're right to think that yours might not have come with that setup. They only started somewhere in mid-'70 so your '68 was not normally equipped with vent ports on the tank I wouldn't have thought. First thing I would do is cap them, then decide whether you want to put the full canister setup on.

Your early gas caps would be vented differently than the '70 and newer vented caps, where the charcoal canister/evap system was installed. Not sure if that would be a problem or not.

So first cap them, then go from there.
By the way, got a pic of these ports? Just wondering what they are and where. Maybe a PO had installed a replacement tank or yours didn't have dual tanks to begin with?

Paul

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Canister on frame. I capped the center. The fat line runs up the firewall and has the mushroom plug in it. The small line is from the vent in the tank, after running up the firewall. But my setup is not working perfectly.

Canister1_zpsznroxghu.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ar those standard open type caps JAFO? The capped one in your pic should be open to atmosphere. Just breather-capped to keep debris out.
I'm not sure if Ford ran it up into the engine compartment just for better debris restriction, or if there was some kind of siphoning effect going on.

The other large one is connected to the air cleaner housing?

Paul

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Ar those standard open type caps JAFO? The capped one in your pic should be open to atmosphere. Just breather-capped to keep debris out.
I'm not sure if Ford ran it up into the engine compartment just for better debris restriction, or if there was some kind of siphoning effect going on.

The other large one is connected to the air cleaner housing?

Paul

Thanks for looking. I have that center capped (sealed) so sounds like I am doing it wrong. Currently no, the other (blue) large hose one is not connected to the breather. It is capped with a mushroom shaped breather. I suspect that I should have that piece connected to a hose in the center and run my blue hose to the breather. I was planning to run that blue hose to the breather, but my breather assembly doesn't have a port for anything. Was looking into my options on that.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I had no idea that this was causing so much confusion. Here is the factory diagram. Most of the Broncos that I have owned have had the factory evap system intact and they are as shown. The only difference with the Bronco from this diagram is that the center port on top of the can is a long 1 inch flex hose that extends up into the engine compartment and has the open cap (usually a blue dome-shaped cap) that caps the end of the tube.

Attachments

• charcoal_73_emission_2.jpg
    charcoal_73_emission_2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 281

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What Mars said.
I've never seen one of the caps used directly on the canister in an EB application, except on the newer plastic bottles mounted up high. On the steel frame mounted cans, always the two hoses into the engine compartment.

Prior to '73 or so, the blue "cap" on the open hose was not even a cap. It was simply a blue plastic cylinder/ring/thingy that held the hose open and kept it from crushing. No real impediment to anything getting into the hose though.
Later they started using the more familiar mushroom cap. Still left it open to breath, but at least had a cover to keep junk out.

And remember, the other big hose that goes to the air cleaner does NOT get manifold vacuum. It's simply attached to the air filter housing to let the gentle pull of the intake suck the fumes in.
Only later model cars and trucks with computers to control the function use full vacuum.

Paul

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DirtDonk makes an important point. The purge line, which is the other small port, sees the air cleaner only in carb set ups, not vacuum. In this picture I have reconfigured it to feed the cannister purge solenoid on an EFI set up. You can see the big 1 inch flex hose coming out of the top. This one I have run up to the engine compartment and installed a small air breather element type filter so that it gets clean air.

A simpler set up would be to get the later version where the cannister mounts in the engine compartment,as was done on later Broncos. My 76 uses that style. Same as later Mustangs.

Attachments

• frame_evap_can.jpg
    frame_evap_can.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 175

MidwestTexan

I know this is an old thread although I figured since I have a similar question, I won't clutter the board with a new post....

I have a 70' w/ a 302 that's carbureted. The previous owner installed a new main tank although I believe the aux is original. Both gas caps are the "short reach" version and vent into the tank so I beleive mine would have been built just before the canisters were originally installed. I plan on installing a vapor canister on the firewall in front of the passenger front wheel. The fumes in the garage are pretty nasty if it's in there, so I'm hoping this will help.

My questions are as follows:

-Is this a good canister option?

-There are two small nipples on the main tank that are plugged. Would I unplug one of them and run a line up to the canister? If so, does it matter which one I use? I'm assuming the aux tank has a vent nipple as well. If so, would I "tee" this into the vent line I'm running from the main tank?

-What are the larger nipples on the canister I provided the link for used? I'm assuming the vent line from the tank goes to the small nipple. Do I run a line from the canister to my air filter?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Jordan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks like a perfect canister to use. I didn't see a price though, is it decent?

Your main tank is a replacement for a later model, which is the only one manufactured these days. Your original would not have had the two capped off vent ports. And your aux tank probably does not either, unless it was a transition tank.
What month was your truck built? Be interested to know if you have the vent or not. An early '70 would not.

But on the main tank, as you suspected one of them will remain capped, and one will go to the charcoal canister. I do not believe it makes a difference, but from the factory they did have two different functions. One was for venting to the condensing tank behind the driver's shoulder, and the other was a return for liquid flowing back to the tank.
The aux tank on vented models would have had only one fitting.

If your aux does not have one, but you can figure a way to add a vent, you would "T" the main and aux tank hoses together and run a single up to the small port on the canister.

The medium sized port on the new canister will simply get plugged/capped. If you had a '73 or later Bronco with a carburetor bowl evaporative vent, this is the port that would have gone to.

Of the two large ports, one will get a large hose run up to the air cleaner housing. Unlike the PCV fitting on the air cleaner housing, this one is normally outside the filter element, but has it's own type of "filter" container clipped in place.
Are you running a stock air cleaner? Or an aftermarket open element?

The second large port simply remains vented to atmosphere. On a high-mount like you're planning, you simply need what is referred to as a "mushroom cap" which just pops on the end to allow it to breathe, but keep debris and splashed liquids out of the canister.
Early models, between '70 and '76, had a low-mount canister and that second port had a hose that raised it up to the firewall height. The hose had an open top plastic reinforcement at first, then the later ones had a mushroom cap in the end of the hose.
Yours can simply sit on the top of the port.

I'm guessing you can buy them, and someone here will have a link for you I'm sure (904Bronco maybe?), or you can get them at a junkyard as well.

Paul