• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to begin... 1971 fully disassembled

71BroncoSean

Loc.
Fort Lauderdale
I just bought a 1971 uncut Bronco, and the body has been fully restored to it's original glory. It is beautiful, but it is fully disassembled, meaning it has just come out of the paint shop and I need to reconstruct it. I have all the parts, and want to upgrade a few of the systems, e.g. brakes, suspension, transmission, etc. My challenge is, where do I begin? For example, do I replace the brakes before I put the engine back in? I've never done this before. Any help is appreciated.

70 sport WA

Contributor
Brave man and I give you credit. You will get it done and this group here will be helpful. Keep asking questions and post pics; easy to do, just get "contributor" status and it's something like $17 a year. I've been on here for way too long and the people you meet are great.

71 CA Bronco

Where are you located? Someone may be able to swing by and get you started in the right direction. Given that you are not the one who took it apart it will be a chore going back together. I had the good fortune of having another Bronco here to help with my assembly. Good luck.

Cecjap

Lots of info here

Search function works great and lots of pics. I’ve got a google album of my disassembly and reassembly in my signature. Any questions, please ask.

mebco09

I think some photos would help- How disassembled is it?

I bought one in 2018 in similar condition.

Couple considerations-

1. How much space do you have?
I have mine in two bays right now, plus an additional storage area for all the parts. They take up a surprising amount of space when fully apart and properly stored.

2. Is the body off of the frame? & has the frame been painted?

If not, that is the place to start. Waaay easier to get the frame and running gear perfect and installed complete, and then drop the body on.

EODMike

When I took my Bronco down to the frame last year, once back from sand blasting and frame painted, I started with the suspension. I figured that I couldn't put the axles back on without suspension so why not start there?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree.
First, if they are still separated, make sure the body is fully supported and braced. You don't want all that nice body work (and your money!) going down the tubes because the body flexed and kinked.

Try to put as many systems on the frame as possible before the body goes on. It's just easier to work on.
That means pretty much start at the bottom. If you don't want to support the frame on secure stands, then support it on the tires, axles and suspension.
Run your brake lines, fuel lines, and maybe even the pertinent electrical along the frame to the rear. Fuel tanks and any wiring for electric pumps included.
You can't do 100% of it because some things, such as rear lights, fuel selector valve (if dual tanks), master cylinder and such are mounted to the body. But you get the idear.

Engine and transmission next. Forget the driveshafts and trackbar until you have the body back on, but for now working on the majority of the drivetrain is easier with access like this. With luck you'll never have the body off again, so take advantage.
When you've done all that and figure you're close enough, THEN put the body back on the frame with new body mount insulators. Whether stock, stock-height polyurethane, or 1" body lift, new is good.

And by now you'll have discovered just how much of "complete" your parts acquisition really was. Still have yet to know of a single person that bought a "Bronco-in-a-Box" setup that did not find a ton missing that had to be sourced later.
But you could be the first!

Good luck. And welcome to classicbroncos!
You can upload images (which we love by the way. Gotta have pics!) into your "garage" or "gallery" functions, or if you're a computer/internet kind of person you may have an image hosting site you already use and can link the photos to here. Or you can pay your 12 bucks a year to become a contributor and then upload them directly from your device to your discussion. Not everyone is ready to jump in and pay a website right away, but it's a good way to keep this place partying!

Have fun.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and don't hesitate to let us know where in the country you are. As CA Bronco said, you might get some outside help now and then.
And we won't come over and steal your parts and tools either. Might lose some beer and BBQ and bs time of course, but the gatherings can still be very fruitful in the work-accomplished department.

With luck you might even be near to one of the coming big Bronco events once we get out of our Corona Stupor and out of the house again.
Even without your Bronco it's a good way to see what others have done, get ideas and even see what you might be missing in your pile-o-parts.
If you have a family that's in on this venture, they will have a great time too.

Paul

OP
OP

71BroncoSean

Loc.
Fort Lauderdale
Thanks for sharing the album. Your Bronco is beautiful! The body is on the frame, but the engine and interior are not. If nothing else, you've shown me that I don't have enough room in my garage. :)

OP
OP

71BroncoSean

Loc.
Fort Lauderdale
Ok, so apparently I have no idea how to use the forum, so I don't know how I'm going to put a car together. ;) I'm in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Would love to talk with locals if there are any.

OP
OP

71BroncoSean

Loc.
Fort Lauderdale
@DirtDonk, Thanks or sharing the tips. The body is on the frame and already painted. I have no idea what I'm missing, but will put together an inventory. Your tips are super helpful, thanks!