• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to cut for dovetail

OX1

Bronco Guru
For those that have dovetailed, where did you cut the sheet metal?
Just cut 1/4 off stricker plate and rewelded in? Pics would be cool!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll bite. What part is dovetailed in the sheet-metal world?
At least this brings you back to the top anyway. I'll be interested to see what is done in this procedure too.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
He's talking about narrowing the tub from about the door post back. To me it just depends on how much you want to dovetail it and how much angle you want it to be at. Not that I'd do it but if I did I'd probably leave the rear striker as is and start the dovetail just behind the striker post basiclly cut the whole quarter panel at the floor all the way back to the tailgate post then cut down through the floor to leave the tail gate post intact if your also going to shorten the tailgate.

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
I'll bite. What part is dovetailed in the sheet-metal world?
At least this brings you back to the top anyway. I'll be interested to see what is done in this procedure too.

Paul

"we" had this conversation on here once (like in 07 timeframe), and I thought I came away with the correct terms being ;D

bob-shorten rear body
dovetail-narrow rear (or front) body
backhalf-remove rear body, tube
boatside-cut off rockers, angle side of body upward.

If it is not dovetail, then what is it??

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632800
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322237
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19196
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913605

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
He's talking about narrowing the tub from about the door post back. To me it just depends on how much you want to dovetail it and how much angle you want it to be at. Not that I'd do it but if I did I'd probably leave the rear striker as is and start the dovetail just behind the striker post basiclly cut the whole quarter panel at the floor all the way back to the tailgate post then cut down through the floor to leave the tail gate post intact if your also going to shorten the tailgate.

I did it on my 78 bronc, but that was ugly since it has a B-pillar (made abig crease in 1/4). My thinking was cut along floor, cut top of 1/4 between it and striker plate, then bend 1/4 in and cut off slight edge that then overlaps striker.

I may just rip out striker and run part of the cage right there, more buggy-ish, just attaching front of 1/4 to tube. But I do like the way I have my 78 now, with tube doors that open/close and use F150 TG latches that catch on the stock strikers.

Anyway, I have seen plenty of completed "narrowed" ;D pics on here, but none of them is progress.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i dove-tailed the front and rear on mine. 14"front/20"rear. the front was easy, cut and rewelded the grill, pulled the fenders in the match up...however you will lose some length doing this...so i lengthen my fenders almost 2" to get more room for the engine. the rear wasnt bad either, i cut along the floor and the wall on the bed...leaving the fender tubs attached to the floor so i can run a rear seat. USE a sawsall...plasma made a worst mess. the sawsall had nice cuts making it faster to tack the panels together as i worked.

for the front...i ditched the radiator support and inner fenders...just used 1x1" tubing to support everything

heres where the dove-tailing starts on my thread
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101742&highlight=dove+tail&page=7

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Thanks, I may need to elongate my fenders also. I started by putting the 400in with stock mounts reversed (the normal route), then did dual X-members for black/box -205. Now it looks like up travel on the front axle with ram sticking out front (and high up) will be right where I want to put the radiator.

Of course, in hind-site, I could have just moved the entire drivetrain back a couple inches. I may now move the body mounts forward a couple inches instead.

Will have to take a good look at pics of the extended fenders if you have them. Really did not want to do that, as I wanted the ability to just swap one out if I trashed one really bad.

i dove-tailed the front and rear on mine. 14"front/20"rear. the front was easy, cut and rewelded the grill, pulled the fenders in the match up...however you will lose some length doing this...so i lengthen my fenders almost 2" to get more room for the engine. the rear wasnt bad either, i cut along the floor and the wall on the bed...leaving the fender tubs attached to the floor so i can run a rear seat. USE a sawsall...plasma made a worst mess. the sawsall had nice cuts making it faster to tack the panels together as i worked.

for the front...i ditched the radiator support and inner fenders...just used 1x1" tubing to support everything

heres where the dove-tailing starts on my thread
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101742&highlight=dove+tail&page=7

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, gotcha OX1. You are correct, but it's been awhile since I've heard the term with regard to a vehicle, so had forgotten and just couldn't picture what you were referring to.
I was thinking like "dove-tail joint" like in wood, and wondered what you were joining together near the door post.

Paul

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I have also heard "dovetailed" also referred to as "pie-cut" for the reference to the wedge shaped piece cut out to get the dovetail.

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Ok, gotcha OX1. You are correct, but it's been awhile since I've heard the term with regard to a vehicle, so had forgotten and just couldn't picture what you were referring to.
I was thinking like "dove-tail joint" like in wood, and wondered what you were joining together near the door post.

Paul

Bet that would apply to that all wood EB then, eh?? ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely! Strong as welds for the joints. Gotta make sure to use a lot of Elmer's too though. After all, you still want it water tight for them regattas!

Paul