• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to find correct 302 serpentine belt bolts for E7

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
So my 302 heads have different bolt threads
The red once are 7/16 I believe the 2 other are 3/8
Where would be the best place to find the correct length?
I am told those are the Ford E7 heads from a 1995 Mustang
And if you know what size plug goes into the front of the head?
1-1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is an explorer serpentine set up. Correct?
If so, did you get any bolts for the brackets with the rest of the parts? And are they all the wrong size?
Or do you not have any of the original bolts?

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
That is an explorer serpentine set up. Correct?
If so, did you get any bolts for the brackets with the rest of the parts? And are they all the wrong size?
Or do you not have any of the original bolts?

I was told it was a Explorer serpentine set up. I got only the two bolts shown with it.
What bugs me is the different sizes of threads on the heads. 4 bolts have smaller diameter than the other 2.
But the holes in the Brackets are all equal size. For the larger bolts. I am not really Shure how that is best dealt with??
6.jpg

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Does the third hole on the accessories brackets even line up with the 3/8 hole when the other two bolts installed . ??? from the picture the third used threaded hole should be where the larger hole/exhaust port for air injecton maniflod is,,,, What is the bolt hole configuration on the back side [firewall end ]of those heads/,,.....first thought the heads need to be swapped side to side and you need to find a way to plug off those exhaust ports....I maybe wrong but thats what appears to be the case.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
THIS^ when I did mine I just went piece by piece, tractor supply and done

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
So my 302 heads have different bolt threads
The red once are 7/16 I believe the 2 other are 3/8
Where would be the best place to find the correct length?
I am told those are the Ford E7 heads from a 1995 Mustang
And if you know what size plug goes into the front of the head?
1-1.jpg
@Geiri You have made a small blunder. I think I can help you.
Fortunately you have provided a picture, so I can see your problem.

The E7 heads have 4 threaded holes in each end. I have labeled them for you in your picture.
Hole #1 is a 5/16-18 blind hole for the retention of the Thermactor cross over tube. It is not used in your Bronco.
Hole #2 is a 7/16-14 blind hole.
Hole #3 is a 7/16-14 blind hole.
Hole #4 is a 5/8-11 threaded THRU hole for the Thermactor air injection.

Hole #4 is special, and is the one used by the accessory brackets. It NEEDS to have a 5/8-11 to 7/16-14 threaded insert plug installed.
You will find that you have the threaded insert plugs in the back of your heads...because you put the heads on BACKWARDS. So your threaded plugs are in the back, instead of where you need them up front. This is no problem, but you must obtain 2 new inserts. You want Ford part number F4ZZ-6E086-A or an equivalent. You can get them from Amazon by seraching keyword: "Thermactor Insert"

If you do not plug the hole, it is a big exhaust leak. The old threads will be full of carbon residue, and will require a tap to clean the threads prior to the insert installation.

Attachments

• thermactor plug.jpg
    thermactor plug.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 21
  • thermactor.jpg
    thermactor.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 25
  • holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland

The E7 heads have 4 threaded holes in each end. I have labeled them for you in your picture.
Hole #1 is a 5/16-18 blind hole for the retention of the Thermactor cross over tube. It is not used in your Bronco.

Hole #4 is special, and is the one used by the accessory brackets. It NEEDS to have a 5/8-11 to 7/16-14 threaded insert plug installed.
You will find that you have the threaded insert plugs in the back of your heads...because you put the heads on BACKWARDS. So your threaded plugs are in the back, instead of where you need them up front. This is no problem, but you must obtain 2 new inserts. You want Ford part number F4ZZ-6E086-A or an equivalent. You can get them from Amazon by seraching keyword: "Thermactor Insert"

If you do not plug the hole, it is a big exhaust leak. The old threads will be full of carbon residue, and will require a tap to clean the threads prior to the insert installation.
That is super helpful. Thank you so much 🙏

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland

Do you use some sealant on the plugs and bolts before assembly?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Do you use some sealant on the plugs and bolts before assembly?
The Ford service part uses a pre-applied thread sealant on the external thread of the insert. I believe that a small dab of thread locking compound would be just as effective.

There is no chance of prolonged leakage, as the soot and carbon from the exhaust is self-sealing. Getting them installed correctly is far more difficult than any chance of leakage. I have built a small adapter to fit over a 7/16-14 bolt to engage the drive slot to get it tight and sunk in the hole. But recently I purchased the Amazon brand without any sealant, and applied my own Loctite 262 and it threaded easily with a large screwdriver.

No sealant on any other bolts. A light coat of nickel based anti-sieze will be appreciated by the next person that must work on it.