• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to install Speakers

4x4livn

Hey all, first i want to say thanks for all the great help I have been receiving. I havent even owned my bronco a month yet and it is already leaps and bounds better than when i started. Before anyone says run a search, i did and there really wasnt that many threads dedicated to this issue, and the ones that i found didnt help me.

With the summer months coming up, i plan to take off the doors and the side panels of my soft top. Question is where have ya'll being installing speakers? If i put them in the doors i wont have them when Im cruising around in the summer. I really do want to have decent sound with the doors off. Any ideas? Pictures would be great.

edit: Forgot to mention that I am not looking to spend a bunch of money on this. I did find this

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_170&products_id=2064

It looks like it might be a good route to go. Has anyone used this?

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
That's the magic question I'll be trying to solve come this summer. There's a few good threads about this and a lot of creative solutions. The most cost efficient and easiest solution I've found is the centra pod by select increments

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363204469.162703.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_663CENTPOD/Select-Increments-Centra-Pod.html?tp=131

My plan is to buy it from crutchfield for $65, throw a pair of $150 speakers in it and Velcro it to the tunnel cover. This would provide good sound up front for top down cruising at around $200. Plus you can always just disconnect the wires and remove it in about 5 mins

I know there's better options out there but this should work best for me in terms of price, ease of install, and ability to pull wires and attach back to the door speakers quickly.

Just my opinion......

OP
OP

4x4livn

That's the magic question I'll be trying to solve come this summer. There's a few good threads about this and a lot of creative solutions. The most cost efficient and easiest solution I've found is the centra pod by select increments

View attachment 292021

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_663CENTPOD/Select-Increments-Centra-Pod.html?tp=131

My plan is to buy it from crutchfield for $65, throw a pair of $150 speakers in it and Velcro it to the tunnel cover. This would provide good sound up front for top down cruising at around $200. Plus you can always just disconnect the wires and remove it in about 5 mins

I know there's better options out there but this should work best for me in terms of price, ease of install, and ability to pull wires and attach back to the door speakers quickly.

Just my opinion......

Thats not a bad idea. My only concern would be someone reaching in and just grabbing it. My doors will be off most of summer, can you tell im a former jeep owner? :p

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I hate to be "that guy", but there really is about 100 threads on speakers on here. Do an advanced search for speaker in the title. Sorry for being the buzzkill

OP
OP

4x4livn

I hate to be "that guy", but there really is about 100 threads on speakers on here. Do an advanced search for speaker in the title. Sorry for being the buzzkill

Didnt try an advance search. When i search speakers and install, I got mostly build threads. The fact that this forum doesnt have subsections kind of hurts the searching.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
I plan to run 6x9's on the inside bedrails and 5x7s in/on the inside kick panel just infront of door posts.... Just haven't gotten that far yet

1966,351w,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 37/13/15 boggers

OP
OP

4x4livn

I plan to run 6x9's on the inside bedrails and 5x7s in/on the inside kick panel just infront of door posts.... Just haven't gotten that far yet

1966,351w,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 37/13/15 boggers

The kick panel idea isnt bad at all. I hadnt thought of that. I didnt want to put anything under the dash because i didnt want to hit it with my knee when im wheeling. But if you bought, or made, a box that tucked up into that knook.... it might work really well. Would be super easy to run the wires as well. Great idea!

croft75

I made a box under my stock back seat with 2 JBL 5.25" speakers sounds way better than i thought it would. I didn't want to cut or drill any oles in the body

OP
OP

4x4livn

I made a box under my stock back seat with 2 JBL 5.25" speakers sounds way better than i thought it would. I didn't want to cut or drill any oles in the body

Have you ever driven it with the top and doors off? I thought about putting some speakers behind the front seats, but I was concerned with the ability to hear the speakers at anything over 25mph.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Boat speakers kick ass- bolt em to the cage and your done!

OP
OP

4x4livn

I'm assuming you don't have a roll cage? There are a number of roll cage speaker mounts and sound bars out there.

I just have the factory bar. I plan on doing wakeboard speakers eventually. I had them on my rock crawler and loved them. Just need the cage first.

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
I went this route, and it's great for now until I finish my interior but in my opinion it's not good enough alone. This is because it's aimed RIGHT at your face so when you turn it up to make up for the fact that it's only two speakers you really blast your ears.

I'm thinking quarter-panel 6x9 full-ranges in the middle, and in the rear twin 10-inch subwoofers.

View attachment 292021

Just my opinion......

croft75

Have you ever driven it with the top and doors off? I thought about putting some speakers behind the front seats, but I was concerned with the ability to hear the speakers at anything over 25mph.

the setup I have works good on radio , but sounds perfect with a DVD or ipod
Its just a cheap sony marine head unit from Bestbuy and the jbl speakers no amp. and its louder than I need, I run with no top. .
For the box it only has 3 sides used a piece of aluminum I had and bent it to fit then lined it with dynamat. to get inside I just unscrew the seat bottom.

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
Boat tower speakers, most will mount to roll bars, the are waterproof and submersible to a point, and made for wind in your face sound.

dtm030

Loc.
Jax Beach
Are most of you using marine grade stuff as it is more likely to stand up to the weather? I know here in FL it will rain almost everyday so it's only a matter of time before I'm rained on with just the bikini top on.

OP
OP

4x4livn

Are most of you using marine grade stuff as it is more likely to stand up to the weather? I know here in FL it will rain almost everyday so it's only a matter of time before I'm rained on with just the bikini top on.

When i built my rock crawler i used marine stuff because it is water proof but also because it was built to handle bumps. Think about when a boat is out on a choppy lake, far more slamming and bashing than the average car will ever see. Rock crawling and the dirt seem to kill normal stereos, havent had problem with marine stuff.