• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to start 76 classic

ezdaar

Loc.
houston
Ok, did my intro and now its time to get down to buisness.
Hope you guys like long posts with lots of detail.

heres the rundown on my Bronco,
Photobucket images
I will be updating this soon as I have done alot more body work.

My body is in really good shape, floors, doors, top and front fender liners are in good shape except driver side where it looks like the speedo cable routes through. this side has some small pencil sized rust holes but seems solid, as in a hammer wont go through it..
What should I concentrate on regaurding the body? are there any lil secret spots that I need to inspect first?
I am currently in process of repairing all body problems and got it all primed and ready for a spray, I just cannot decide what colors to go with. Any thoughts? whats the fav color scheme here?
Also something I noticed today, my doors have large gaps (pencil can slide in) around the back sides inbetween the body. my door seals are all but gone, So I am unsure if just a seal will close this gap.

Frame: its in sad shape, heavy rust, not flake but heavy crust. luckily straight and still strong.
Whats best method other than a body off to start ripping rust off??
I was thinking pressure washer and wire brush and getting REALY dirty..
Is there a better method? What chemicals should I treat it with during or after?

Suspension is shit and 90% will replaced, PO had installed some form of coil over setup as a lift or assist, I dunno. Any ideas?

Fuel system,
Primary tank is crack around fill hole buy secondary looks to be good.
Fuel lines are COmpletly gone, Figured I could replace it with stainles braided rubber line. Is this a bad idea? I do not plan on going back to duel tanks anytime soon due to costs.

Brakes, LOL they are as bad as the suspension, completly rusted out and need 90% replacement.

Trans, I dunno, other than it and transfer case both leak from both ends..
Throw out bearing is stuck tho so clutch is shot.

Engine, well heres the bright side. It runs fine other than one dead lifter. I plan doing cam, lifters and chain swap along with fresh headgaskets.
Will also toss on a 4barrel holley and intake to support it.
Distributor seems good so will leave it to last or as long as it stays working.

This monster also has a PTO winch attached to a galvanized steel pipe front bumper that is welded to fram, so I think I will have some major problems here repaqiring it. or is it even work repair, ala replace with new warn electric.

LOL as you can see I have alot of fun ahead of me, but completly look forward to it as this will be my first ford build.
Smile guys, you have a harcore chevy convert! :eek:

If you guys experienced guys could, toss me a build order than I can work from, that will keep me inline and see'ing the most bang for the buck.
It would be nice to get this bronco moving on its own asap, but I'm worried if I do that I will skip out on some imprtant steps.

Last edited:

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I think the best way to prioritize is to see how fast you want to get it back on the road. If you don't mind it being in the garage for a year, go ahead and do a frame off. There is so much stuff I would have missed that would have eventually bitten me in the a$$ later on had I not taken the tub off. Plus it is much easier to clean that frame up when there is nothing in the way. Don't let it be as daunting a task as I thought it was going to be. If your rig is anything like mine, you will be glad you took the tub off. Plus, it makes pulling the motor, transmission, tcase, gas tank, brake lines, (probably electrical too) that much easier. Sounds like a massive effort, but it's not that bad.

Attachments

• DSCF0283-1.JPG
    DSCF0283-1.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0291.JPG
    DSCF0291.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0298.JPG
    DSCF0298.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 47

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Get your priorities in order. Make a plan and follow it. Pretty paint is about the last thing to worry about. Safety issues come first and sounds like you know some of them. While pulling the body seems daunting, it's not that bad. I can remove and install myself.(and I'm 62) Things are just so much easier to get to, it's worth the effort to me. Good luck and enjoy.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Welcome to CB site and I was wanderin what is that between the seats in one of the pic's of your 76? Oh yea always check the for sale thread on here.You can save some $$ BY keepin an eye on it. Good luck,Gene

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Welcome to CB site and I was wanderin what is that between the seats in one of the pic's of your 76? Oh yea always check the for sale thread on here.You can save some $$ BY keepin an eye on it. Good luck,Gene

Those would be gun racks number 8 and 9. The PO must have been a big game hunter, or avid militia member.;D