• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to start

My daughter broke up with her bf ( worked in a body shop for years),
so there went my "project manager" for my bronco. Now i'm left with a
basement full of sheet metal for my '74. This thing has been siting idle in my
garage now for roughly 5 years and i'm getting anxious to get her going. I have never done any kind of body work in my life. My question is this.. where do I start? Should I start with the core supports, then the inner fenders then the inner wheel tubs, then work on the seat platform then the floor pans? I think you get the idea here right? Basically the entire floor from front to back. Do I have to take measurements off the original metal? How do i know if things are fitting properly and square for the next piece of metal and etc.etc down the line? I feel like i'm in over my skis on this project . Any and every piece of adv ice would be helpful. TIA

ransil

Bronco Guru
Tell your daughter to take one for the team and get back with body shop guy until the project is done.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You might see if there is a local school with a body shop class. One class would give you a ton of info on where to start & how to proceed also the instructor could give detailed pointers when needed. Or do what I did & start cutting out rust & weld new metal learning as I went.

Good luck with the project!

Jfryjfry

You can still use the guy. But if he hasn’t finished (or even started) in 5 years, you don’t want to use him anyway.

Just start doing one piece at a time - just like eating an elephant

mrdrnac

Contributor
you can still use the guy. But if he hasn’t finished (or even started) in 5 years, you don’t want to use him anyway.

Just start doing one piece at a time - just like eating an elephant

so true!

suckerpunched

if you have the desire and time to try to do it yourself. post some pictures of what you got. there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who have the ability to fix anything on a bronco that could possibly be wrong with it. There have been lots of people who have learned their way through it here too.