• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which 23 gal fuel tank is best?

ngsd

Bronco Guru
There are a few choices and some of the older designs look like they have been upgraded. Before I pull the trigger, any suggestions on which 23g tank is best and why?

Thanks

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
EFI or Carb?
If EFI, which type you looking at? Mustang, Explorer, Aftermarket

I am partial to Aero tanks, since they can be customized...
I have heard very good things about the WH new stainless tank.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Good question, I should have been more specific. I want this to be flexible. I was going to do an Explorer swap but since then I have decided to go with a carbed Blueprint crate engine for ease of build. That being said I would like whatever I do to be used for EFI if I decide to update it later. I saw that the one at toms would just be a switch to an in tank pump and I think that if the design allowed that flexibility it would add to the decision for me.

The WH horse stainless sounds good but if memory serves me, weren't they having trouble with the builder of those being able to deliver reliably or was that someone else?

68Broncoz

Contributor
I would just consider going with the stock fuel tank (if you have one) and upgrade at the same time you go with the EFI. If Tom's can be converted later to EFI that would be a good way to go.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The WH horse stainless sounds good but if memory serves me, weren't they having trouble with the builder of those being able to deliver reliably or was that someone else?

No, that was the old Sherman Tank.

Since releasing the new M1A1 Stainless tank that has not been an issue at all as far as I know. We may have run out of them for a couple of days once, but I could be wrong on that.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want this to be flexible...
I would like whatever I do to be used for EFI if I decide to update it later.

Most of the available tanks out there are pretty good, quality and design wise. Most of them are also versatile in the way you describe.
The BC, Aero and Wild Horses tanks can easily be used with an external OR internal pump. Just swap a few pieces and you're there, going in either direction.
So you could order either one set up for a carburetor and then upgrade to an in-tank EFI pump later.

I can't speak for the Tom's tank, as I have not studied, or seen one up close yet.
The old NWMP (Sunset Metal Fab) tank was not generally convertible, but that may have changed.

While discussing tanks, in case you're using dual tanks, I am not aware of any side tanks available with in-tank pump setups. Might be out there, but I have not seen it. Aero and NWMP are not available with in-tank pumps.
Just FYI.

Paul

nickgp

Bronco Guru
FYI, sure is easier to change an external pump while in the garage or worse yet, the desert!

AC932

Contributor
I'm using the TBP tank, only annoyance is that between Full and 3/4 on the gauge is about 15 gallons. Not a big deal, but other vendor's included sending units might play nicer.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Buy the tank you want that can be used now with the carb since that's what you said you'd be doing and then drop in the in-tank pump when ready.

That Aero-motive pressure reducer costs almost as much as an entire EFI setup! wow... anyway, a stock mechanical pump will "lift" fuel out of the tank easily...

When you save up and swap in EFI, then install your intank pump, remove the mechanical pump and PRESTO....EFI.

Easiest... and cheapest...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I installed the entire stock Explorer fuel pump and hanger in my old style NWMP 23 gal tank. I used a hole saw, and grafted the top of the Explorer fuel tank onto my NWMP tank. I also have my frame mounted HP pump plumbed to the original fuel pick up. If my in-tank pump ever fails, it’s a 10 min. job to switch it over to the frame pump.

Mark

nvrstuk

Contributor
Kyle Q did a great write up using my original build detailing how to do that conversion but also using my individual fuel pickups to keep my intank pump from starving..

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went through three, ended with the stainless Sherman, which I think is the best, I'm carbed, planning to go efi someday, and use the in tank efi pump and a return regulator to drop pressure down for the carb. This way I don't have to drop a tank when I want high pressure later.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you post up the numbers again 73az, on your regulator (brand and part number) and the final pressure results too, if you tested?
I think there have been a lot of inquiries over the years as to how effective it is to drop the pressure from the 100psi range to the 3-7 psi range.

Thanks!

Paul

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
After considering all options I am going in deep. I am scrapping the original plans as well as the explorer swap on this one. I just ordered a blueprint 306/365 with sniper FI and will go with the Sherman set up. Seems like this build keeps costing three times everywhere so why quit here!
Thanks for all the replies.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Welcome to the $ club $... :)

Sounds like a good plan

Jaybr

Contributor
After considering all options I am going in deep. I am scrapping the original plans as well as the explorer swap on this one. I just ordered a blueprint 306/365 with sniper FI and will go with the Sherman set up. Seems like this build keeps costing three times everywhere so why quit here!
Thanks for all the replies.

That’s the exact path I am taking on both of my broncos. Engines arrived last week and the tanks are being delivered at SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk