• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which AOD/E/4R70W tranny?

Yellow76

Ok all, the tranny on my wife's 74' Bronco is need of a rebuild. This is what is has, Lincoln Town car 5.0 injected, C4, stock Dana 204.56 gears, 35 in tires-new. Its mostly a cruiser, I have the play toy-76 Bronco, and the highway RPMs on her rig are not much fun. No tach right now but its up there. For those of you who have switched to the AOD/AODE/4R70W trannies, what would you suggest? Pros/Cons of the swap and would you do it again? I know the money involved and that is being addressed with the boss. Thanks in advance for the info. I know its been talked about but things change and everyone learns everyday. And yes I have read the tech articles on this great site.

Shawn

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I haven't put it in yet, but I will be putting in a 4R70W from a 1997 Explorer in mine. I will be upgrading some of the hard parts, but if you got a 1998 or newer transmission, the biggest problems are eliminated. I personally would look for a transmission out of a 1998 or newer explorer...

Dave

OP
OP
Y

Yellow76

Any idea on what your costs are yet? Where did you get your adaptor for the Dana 20 or are you using something like an Atlas? And what are you doing for the computer? Thanks for getting back to me.

Shawn

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I paid $600 for my engine and tranny. I will be putting Baumann's rebuild kit in it for another $200, the computer is just over $400. I bought a couple of hard parts since my tranny is a 1997 (around $100). I am going to run the NP205 that I got with my full width axles add another $100, I will have to fab something for the shifter linkage. The crossmember I am going to have to fabricate it, but would have to do something for the transfercase anyhow... cut the cost of the engine out for half, and I will have around $1100 in my conversion, and a bit of work ;D ...

Good Luck!

Dave