• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which carb?

bwilson293

Loc.
Clarkston
New to this site apologize if this question has been asked before but I am wanting to purchase a holley truck avenger carb and was wondering if I should be looking at the 470 or 670. I just purchased my first bronco (77), really excited, have been searching a long time, just do not know to much about this engine. It has a what I believe to be a stock 302. Thanks for any help.

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
You'll probably want the smaller one a 670 might be a bit big for a stock 302.

I have a 600 cfm on mine with an rv cam, after market heads, intake. And while I haven't dialed it in yet I think I may have gone a bit big but we'll see.

Someone may be along shortly that knows how to make the 670 work. It will work but you'll be basically using just the front end I imagine you'd have to really be romping on it to get the secondaries to jump in.

Have you looked at the edelbrock 1405 it is cheaper and there is a kit for it that makes it good for all terrain conditions (according to them)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd go with a 470 driveability will be slightly better and it will be easier to tune. Might not even need any tuning but more than likely the 670 will require some tuning.
I run a 525cfm carb on my 302 it runs better than 600cfm carb does and was almost dead on in the jetting and my engine is not stock and its plenty big enough.

Edelbrocks are fine for the street but just plain suck offroad I wouldnt bother with them.
Any carb you get will need or should be tuned to your engine

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
I'd go with a 470 driveability will be slightly better and it will be easier to tune. Might not even need any tuning but more than likely the 670 will require some tuning.
I run a 525cfm carb on my 302 it runs better than 600cfm carb does and was almost dead on in the jetting and my engine is not stock and its plenty big enough.

Edelbrocks are fine for the street but just plain suck offroad I wouldnt bother with them.
Any carb you get will need or should be tuned to your engine

Even with their super duper kit that makes them upgradeable for the most awesome off road carb ever? ;D FOILED again by my naive belief that advertisements are always true lol

OP definitely go with Broncnaz he'll know better the only evidence I had that the kit made it ok was Edelbrock's ad execs. Hell I forgot to order the doggone adapter kit for the throttle so dead in the water again... This time it is my fault though

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well there super duper kit is really nothing more than spring loaded needle seats which really dont do anything for the flooding issues that edelbrocks have when on a incline. They can be made to run offroad for pretty much free though. As there are some mods that will help out. I was recently testing a edelbrock 600 cfm carb and while it ran ok it would flood on inclines so next I need to do the mods to see if they work. then I can sell that edelbrock

OP
OP
bwilson293

bwilson293

Loc.
Clarkston
after a little more research and your suggestions I am leaning towards the 470. thanks for all your input

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Cool good luck with the 470 I think that is the right call. Even the old original 2100 series provide good A/F mixture for your engine so the TA 470 is a definite improvement. I think you made the right choice you should have some nice clean low end umph.

Let us know how it works seems like carb issues are on the mind of many of us more novice types so threads like this help bring up the knowledge base here so give us an update.

OP
OP
bwilson293

bwilson293

Loc.
Clarkston
Ordering the 470 tomorrow, time permitting I should have it in by the end of the week. I will post the results asap.

thanks again

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
The 77 '302 runs an EGR valve and other pollution control equipment. Just make sure you can pass state inspection with the 4-bbl set up before you pull all the stock equipment.

KManuel

Loc.
Cape Cod
I have a stock 289 and replaced the 2100 carb with the T/A 470. One thing you need to know, if you don't already, is it is a 4 BBL. That means if your going from stock to the T/A you will also need a 4BBL intake.

I just bolted it on with no adjustments it runs great. If you not an expext, DO NOT ADJUST IT. The only thing that will need adjusting is the RPMs (idle screw).

Its a good choice and I'm very happy with it.

Kevi

jeremy92555

Loc.
Riverside,CA
I was at my local speed shop over the weekend and they were telling me to switch to the 470 TA as well. I am currently running the edelbrock 600 and I was telling them I have no bottom end with a pretty decently built 302. They are telling me the 600 is just to big for the 302. Would i be able to just bolt on the TA without changing throttle linkage?

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I have a 470 T/A on my doggy 302, it came jetted way too rich and the accelerator pump needed a different cam. Other than that it ran out of the box good. Wheels ok but nose up bouncing floods out. :( I am going EFI.

OP
OP
bwilson293

bwilson293

Loc.
Clarkston
Sorry it has taken so long to post my results, finally put the t/a 470 on along with the edelbrock intake, along with the 3.5 suspension lift, along with the mickey thompson 35's, and the eight point family cage, the spray in liner, and the new corbeau's and harnesses. Its been a busy month but the results imo are more than worth it. The performance has exceeded my expectations, basically just bolted it on and followed the spec book for timing, etc. Thanks to all who helped me make the decision to go with the 470. I will post some before and after pics, wish I would have been more organized to show progression. thanks again.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Busy Month? Tires, cage, lift, seats, and a 4bbl? That's a busy year for the most of us! I would have $hit if you said you did gears and lockers too.

Do you have a model number for the intake for the 77 302?

tcj

OP
OP
bwilson293

bwilson293

Loc.
Clarkston
Summit Racing part number, Edelbrock 3721 - Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds. Hope this helps, have not had a chance to take any pics yet. Heading up to Silver Lake Sand Dunes this Memorial Day weekend with the family. I will post some pics monday night. Have a good one.