• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

which carb?

oregon bronco

Loc.
milton-freewater
I`m getting close to completing my build on my `70, but am wondering which carb I should go with? The intent of this rig is going to be 80% off-road and 20% street. Specs are as follows, 351W, T-18, D20 I am running 5.38 R&P. I don`t wan`t to swap to a four barrel because if I do that I`d might as well go with EFI or something (which I plan to in the future) but am looking for something to get me through this years wheelin season. So with that being said which 2V carb is good for running on angles between 1500-400 RPM?? BTW thanks for the advice I love this site and all of the knowledge that it has to offer

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock bronco carb is about the best 2-barrel out there. I have seen these things idle perfectly while nearly laying on the door handle.

OP
OP
O

oregon bronco

Loc.
milton-freewater
Thats actually what I was leaning towards but wanted to get a second opinion or three, I`ve heard lots of stories both good and bad about the stock carb

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
And I know people are getting tired of me saying it, but I am just so impressed with the 4100, which is the 4 barrel equivalent of the 2100. If you are hankering for 4V, that would be the choice. Otherwise the 2100.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Stock 2 barrel is fine and will do everything you want it to. You may not even want to swap over to EFI after you realize it works perfectly fine. The horror stories you hear are from people that have no understanding of carbs and how to tune or fix them. The Stock 2 barrel is one of the easiest to work on and most relieable carbs around. For the money and if your planning a future swap then I would stick with the stock stuff for now.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mine did fine when i was actually on my side%)

I heard about that. You fell out the door and were laying on your side passed out and yr rig kept running 'til they found you...or something like that.

But I don't think that's quite what the OP was asking about.

:p

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I heard about that. You fell out the door and were laying on your side passed out and yr rig kept running 'til they found you...or something like that.

But I don't think that's quite what the OP was asking about.

:p
guess i wasn't paying attention to the OP's question:p
it wasn't the 90 proof i swear:p

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
Don't want to be the party pooper her but, I have run the stock 2 barrel for years. Mine does great except for steep declines. I have tried to address this with no improvement. I'd TBI it...

blainebrazil

Loc.
Santa Rosa
just don't go with the edelbrock 1406. I could never get it to run right. tried all sorts of metering rod, jet and spring combos and could never get rid of the off idle hesitation. going with efi now