• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which carb?

72BlueBronco

I'm in the process of building a 302. My first so I'm not going nuts with it. Other than a mild cam and headers, I'm not doing much with it. My question is which 4-barrel carburetor is best? I'm looking at the new Holley truck avenger or the Quadra-a-jet. Is anyone out there running either of these carbs and how do you like or dislike them? Thanks ;D

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I have a Holley 4V and it's not too bad off the road except when you hit a huge bump. Other than that they don't die on steep hills very much.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I ran a Holley 600 cfm for about 4 years until recently when I slapped on an old Carter that my dad had laying around. It runs good and did much better off-road than I thought it would. I love the Holley around town but on the bumpy hills, it basically sucks. The new Avenger is supposed to be infinitely better. The Quad is also supposed to be a good all around carb for street and off-road. I have never had good luck making a quad run quite right though. others have the same experience with Holleys. Take it for what you will.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
For me the Quadrajet is the ticket I converted from the stock 2 barrel and I wont change back now I even had to smog my truck and pull all of the Quadrajet conversion off smog it and on the way home picked up another gaskit kit and had it all swapped back that night. I have never has so much fun with the truck since converting to the quadrajet. No more worries on wether it is going to stall or vapor lock now on the trail the only time I open my hood is to get my lunch off the intake manifold. (Mc Rib sandwitches or Burritos work well but dont cook them for more than an 1-1/2 hours on a Bronco)

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
Ive been running the truck avenger for about year now. I have had absolutely no problems since I got the jets adjusted. Ive have a mild built 302 about the same your talking about. Been out on some really steep stuff and no problems with stubbling, stalling, or any other thing. It does take awhile to get the jets just right.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Dumped my Edelbrock Performer for a Quad.....best offroad move I've made in the engine compt......

thumper

Loc.
Bountiful, Utah
I've seen the Qjets from BC BRONCOS perform and they did awesome!! We thought Chuck's truck was fuel injected until he lifted the hood!! That's what I have on order to put on my mild 302. Just my .02 worth though<br>

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
Chuck's Q-jets kick ass,I just put one on mine.<br>I have a rebuilt 302,with a fat cam,Unilite, and headers.Otherwise stock.Used to run a Carter 625 AFB,and the Q-jet runs SO much better.Mine even passed smog straight out of the box!Only adjustment I've had to make is idle speed.Gets better mileage than the AFB too.

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
I just got done putting a 4bbl edelbrock intake and carb on my 66 w/289 and lemme tell you! Seat of your pants doesn't even come close! :eek: Not only that, but it gets great gas milage too! I was getting 12 with the 2bbl and now with my Performer 289 4bbl intake and 500cfm Performer carb, I am getting 16+ Not bad! ;)

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I just put a holley truck avenger w/ an edelbrock performer on mine and It runs great now. With a 2 1/2 element it barely fits under the hood with no body lift. I haven't had a chance to take it offroad yet.