• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which complete wire harness?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
American Auto Wire?

OR

Painless?

Looking for a complete harness for a mildly built bronco. Limited number of aftermarket accessories - will have supplemental off-road lighting, winch, stick heat. No A/C or anything fancy like that.

I’m prepared to spend $1000. I wanted a Centech due to prior experience with their kits (x3), but their kit is lot available right now due to connector availability issues.

Go!

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Haven’t gotten around to redoing the wiring, but bought the AAW set as I’m hoping it will be “friendly” to my skill set. The one issue I’ve got with it is that it doesn’t come with the harness to keep the Duralast system. Only costs like $200 to get the extra wires.

Randy

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Painless is complete, wire it and go but I feel quality has dropped since initial EB specific offering. Very hard to read labeled wires
AAW I have been told does not have all the Ford terminated end connectors. Have to buy their wire crimpers. VERY good instructions

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Painless is complete, wire it and go but I feel quality has dropped since initial EB specific offering. Very hard to read labeled wires
AAW I have been told does not have all the Ford terminated end connectors. Have to buy their wire crimpers. VERY good instructions
I saw the AAW instructions, not nearly as good as painless. Is Eric from painless still on this site?

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
I love painless harnesses, super easy to install if you follow directions and take your time. Also the Nashville Bronco guy on youtube has a great video on Painless install in a Bronco. If you watch that video a few times before installing it is a huge help.

Hallboss

Contributor
Loc.
PNW
The PO installed AAW and did a great job with the install. It’s been very easy to add electrical components with the wiring diagram and fuse box. All wires are labeled and accurate, probably the same with Painless.

chuddy

I did a Painless, and in the process of doing a Centech now. I would never use a Centech again, Painless was way better to work with and install.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
I had zero experience with anything wiring or electrical related and had no problems with the painless harness. Looked overwhelming but just went step by step. Only issue was with two switches being bad right out of the box. And they aren’t kidding when they say most issues are related to bad grounds.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Talk to eric0o1 on this site, he can possibly help with questions and pricing on Painless

Torkman66

Contributor
Whatever you go with, add your own grounding system. Run ground from battery down to one of the bolts mounting the starter. Starter pulls greatest amps and having ground inches away from hot is excellent in terms of ohms drop. I also run a ground strap from block to the frame, from frame to the rear of body by fuel tank, from frame to alternator mounting bolt, from frame to front grill, and from frame to behind dash. Never had a single grounding problem and all components work as intended.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
OP never mentions any of the components in the system.
- -
Like every other issue automotive the 1st Q is: What is the application?
example I see WH do this w/the expensive system (ie has 3G, heavy hdlghts) while efi is nother whole harness for that rig, etc.

Which one is best for what?
Fella sez “Whats the best engine?"
dont answ, ask “For what?"

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
OP never mentions any of the components in the system.
- -
Like every other issue automotive the 1st Q is: What is the application?
example I see WH do this w/the expensive system (ie has 3G, heavy hdlghts) while efi is nother whole harness for that rig, etc.

Which one is best for what?
Fella sez “Whats the best engine?"
dont answ, ask “For what?"

No offense,,, but did you read my post?

“Looking for a complete harness for a mildly built bronco. Limited number of aftermarket accessories - will have supplemental off-road lighting, winch, stock heat. No A/C or anything fancy like that.”

Application is a 70 bronco. Stock. Nothing fancy electrical-wise. It’s a 64yo vehicle that needs a basic harness.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
good,

“...you read ..."
“No”, missed that bouncin around threads. (well, not in a wk)
AND...
(I 4got to ask “for what?”)
I see abunch on the net. I’m surprised there’s so many.
Pick’n choose as the the exact specs in post #18 mr. ncs
Quite a savings~

BTW: U may consider a 2nd battery for ur purpose (listed). There is
a isolater for start’n run battery /from/ winch, your other stuff battery.
That could be of interest as well.

“...No offense,,,..."
none taken whst so ever. Hope none given !

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
good,

“...you read ..."
“No”, missed that bouncin around threads. (well, not in a wk)
AND...
(I 4got to ask “for what?”)
I see abunch on the net. I’m surprised there’s so many.
Pick’n choose as the the exact specs in post #18 mr. ncs
Quite a savings~

BTW: U may consider a 2nd battery for ur purpose (listed). There is
a isolater for start’n run battery /from/ winch, your other stuff battery.
That could be of interest as well.

“...No offense,,,..."
none taken whst so ever. Hope none given !

All good, brother!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll take them into consideration. Just need to step up and swipe that cc along with all the other cc swiping I’m doing right now!

🥃