• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WHICH DIFF IN 9" REAR

phils70

Loc.
Rosenberg, Texas
Snow Driving

I'd stick with an open diff, and always carry appropriate tools for getting unstuck. Thats too much street driving and ice for a non selectable locker. I grew up in Chester, CA, 4000+ feet. I drove several vehicles with detroits on the ice and snow, not fun, even in an extended cab F250.

Save a little longer for a selectable locker, maybe by then there'll be other options to the ARB.

Does anyone know if there is an Electrac or OX in the works for the 9"?

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
YEP the Detroit is Pretty squirly on the Ice, More because of the short wheel base, once she starts going around your in for a spin. I drive my 69 with a detroit in the winter all the time. Really is something you have to get use to. Much more prone to turn sideways on you than a limited slip. I have to agree with JeepinCJ7 on the selectable locker or limited slip. The Detroit is great in all other aspects, but on the Ice. Unless you run Chains or studs in your tires ;D

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
FWIW,

If you're looking for a selectable that will leave you open, the Electrac is not for you. Mine acts as a locker when turned off and a spool when energized...

todcolvin

Some of you guys are offering advise that will get this guy in the ditch or on his roof. Running a locker on snowy and icy roads is just asking for problems in a short wheel base, high center of gravity Bronco.

The Detroit locker is no where near as predictable on ice as the Detroit Tru-trac. I am sure that everyone with a locker has had it pop on them driving windy roads. That is more than enough to send you spinning on icy roads. The Detroit Tru trac is a very smooth operating limited slip and does not have a tendency to bind up and pop.

I have lived in Ski resorts or Alaska all of my life-except the last two years, I now live between two ski resorts-and have driven A Bronco since I was 15-1/2. Over the last 21 years I have owned five broncos with various rear ends. The best compromise I have come up with is using the Detroit Tru trac in the rear. It provides enough traction that you don't have to shift into 4x4 at stop signs on hills, but is still predictable Driving mountain passes.

Some others tips for snowpacked roads are to keep two sandbags in the back, have your tires siped prior to mounting, and running an All-terrain (Pro Comp is my choice) instead of mudders.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
todcolvin said:
Some of you guys are offering advise that will get this guy in the ditch or on his roof. Running a locker on snowy and icy roads is just asking for problems in a short wheel base, high center of gravity Bronco.

The Detroit locker is no where near as predictable on ice as the Detroit Tru-trac. I am sure that everyone with a locker has had it pop on them driving windy roads. That is more than enough to send you spinning on icy roads. The Detroit Tru trac is a very smooth operating limited slip and does not have a tendency to bind up and pop.

I have lived in Ski resorts or Alaska all of my life-except the last two years, I now live between two ski resorts-and have driven A Bronco since I was 15-1/2. Over the last 21 years I have owned five broncos with various rear ends. The best compromise I have come up with is using the Detroit Tru trac in the rear. It provides enough traction that you don't have to shift into 4x4 at stop signs on hills, but is still predictable Driving mountain passes.

Some others tips for snowpacked roads are to keep two sandbags in the back, have your tires siped prior to mounting, and running an All-terrain (Pro Comp is my choice) instead of mudders.

Very well said. That was the point of all of my posts. SAFETY is more important than traction sometimes.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
you know I have been kicking this around a lot lately. My initial thinking as i am building my HP44 and bb9 was , ARB rear to get the selectable on the one that gets the most use on the road,and trac lock or true track for the front,
Why? THere is one BRONCO house selling the ARBs for 610 thats only 200 more than the trac or true, Both going to be ARB

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
i'm running a trac-lok up front and a detroit in the rear. while in four high, the bronco drives very well in snow and ice. but i probably could leave the drive way in two wheel drive. if you drive 90% on the road,i hate to admit it because i'm a big detroit fan. but open diff's are probably the best bet in snow. :-X