• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Edlebrock 4bbl intake for 302 upgrade on a 74?

Jeff B

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Running a stock 302 with C4 in my 74. Headers already on from PO and will be upgrading with some new Series 40 Flowmasters and new exaust soon.

I am buying a new Edlebrock ("performer" I think) intake manifold to go with my new Edlebrock 1406 carb and would like to know which MODEL # would be best for this set up for a little power upgrade. Also, better to keep the EGR?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Edelbrock Performer will give more torque at a lower RPM. The Edelbrock Performer RPM will see improvements at a higher RPM. All depends on how you're going to drive.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Im real happy with the Performer intake on mine. With the RPM you will be trading bottom end torque for top end horsepower

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Got a performer on mine.

I did not want the upper end horsepower, so the performer intake was my choice. I believe the number is 2121. Non-EGR.
If you want the EGR the model is a 7121. Did not see the sense in that on my 73. Bear in mind, the EGR model is significantly more expensive that the non-EGR model

Mine has the short headers and the K & N air filter, no other mods. runs real sweet.

Don

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I have a 76, went witht the non-EGR performer...at the tiem I could not find a replacement EGR anyway. Really like it, but hopefully I will be going EFI soon.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I think you'ld be better off with carb #1403 than #1406 for a stockish 302, especially if low end grunt is what you're looking for. Go to Edelbrocks website and they'll tell you the same.

72BlueBronco

I ditched the permformer for a Holly Truck Avenger.............I'm much happer with it's performance on the trails, bumps and inclines. Less spudders/hesitation and no noticable difference in power.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Holley may be better but Im not buying one to replace my Performer. If the float levels are right you wont have those problems. Get whatever you can get the best price on.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
72-bronco said:
I ditched the permformer for a Holly Truck Avenger.............I'm much happer with it's performance on the trails, bumps and inclines. Less spudders/hesitation and no noticable difference in power.

I got a new one too..still in the box. Did u notice any fuel economy improvements, torque or other improvements? how's ur mid-range?

72BlueBronco

HotWheels said:
I got a new one too..still in the box. Did u notice any fuel economy improvements, torque or other improvements? how's ur mid-range?

My Edelbrock most likely was a float problem, I was just tired of messing with them and never getting it right. Maybe someone with a little more experince could have dialed it in correctly.

My Holly on the other hand was bolt on right out of the box. I didn't notice any messaurable mileage improvement just better performance off road. (again most likely a float problem) as far as torque couldn't notice an difference.

brut69

Loc.
Brownwood
Performer Intake

Skuzzlebutt said:
I think you'ld be better off with carb #1403 than #1406 for a stockish 302, especially if low end grunt is what you're looking for. Go to Edelbrocks website and they'll tell you the same.

Still got that Performer???Price??