• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which engine spacer plate for a 4r70w/351

MonsterBIlly

I did a 4r70w swap last year and it's been fine. I did have a small.problem when I first installed it. I used my c4 plate. Once it was together there was a little grinding and I found the torque convertor was rubbing in it. I slightly clearanced it and it has been okay. Every once in a while I will hear a contact but not bad.
However, the last couple weeks it's gotten louder. Soni am gonna bite the bullet and replace it with the correct one.
So, 2 things, which is the right part. I am getting conflicting info.
2nd, is it easier to remove engine, trans and transfercase in one unit. I had a bitch of a tile leaving the engine in the first time. I'm hoping this may be a good time to refinish the engine bay.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I can look up the flex plate I used which worked fine because I had the same issue as you but I am neutral balanced so it probably won't help.

Order from Summit. Order 2 and return the other one is my only solution. There was appr. .030" interference on my billet 4r70 converter and the plate even tho it was listed as the correct one and was supposed to fit.

This is fairly common.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think he means the flat sheet metal "mid plate" or "spacer plate" or "engine plate" or whatever it's called that fits between the engine and bell housing and has the inspection cover at the bottom.
I think...

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's what I thought at first too Paul but the converter wouldn't be able to contact the spacer plate because it would be behind the flex plate.

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

Paul is correct. I am looking for the correct "block plate" or "starter index spacer" whatever the hell its called. the one i have definitely does make slight contact with the flywheel. i mentioned in my previous statement the torque convertor but i was wrong. I meant the flexplate and spacer slightly contact each other. My plate has a dimple area which is used to strengthen it i assume. I thought i had clearanced it but evidently not enough.

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's what got me. It can't physically touch it so it "can't" be hitting it.

Glad you figured it out that it's hitting the flexplate and not the converter so you have a couple options that I can see.

1- clearance it some more. It doesn't move, doesn't affect balance, doesn't affect anything other than spacing the block and bellhousing the proper amount.

2- post up some pics so we can see if you just have the wrong one installed. Which again won't cause any issues if you hack it up. lol Just don't pry against the flexplate to "clearance" it.

Pics would be good.

Good luck.