• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

which gasket set for 1996 351W ?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
looking to order a gasket set for my 96 351W

not gonna change the head gaskets, but figured Id changes the rear main and gotta change the valve covers to keep the mustang 5.0 covers

probably going to install a new water pump too before the engine goes in

thought it would be cheaper to get the whole kit,
but on summit and jegs, its very confusing,
they show 4 piece oil pan gaskets and one piece oil pan gaskets and several different kinds of rear mains

and if you try to pull them up by the year make and model, it doesnt show any kits

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
well, the one piece oil pan gaskets are optional and highly recommended.
Much easier install. I put one in 23+ years ago and still no leaks at all.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check rock auto by make and model. Often full kits can be found. They had the one piece pan set up for the 97 351 I am installing.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its probably not cheaper to buy the whole kit. Head gaskets tend to be the pricey part of the kit. Considering your not pulling the heads you have no use for them even later down the road if you need them well you'll need the other gaskets you already used.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Its probably not cheaper to buy the whole kit. Head gaskets tend to be the pricey part of the kit. Considering your not pulling the heads you have no use for them even later down the road if you need them well you'll need the other gaskets you already used.

It's bizarre. But it is

Just the rear main is $20 if you buy it separate
I need rear main valve covers and oil pan

Cheaper to buy the kit and toss the head gaskets in the trash