• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fel-Pro 1250 intake gasket set

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well I've run the 1250's several times and never had a issue with them. Once I even reused a set because the parts store didnt have any in stock. I dont see any major issues with repeated retorquing. Although if the engine was warm when you retorqued then it might cause a issue. Could be the machined surface on the manifold is just grabbing the gasket and pulling during heating and cooling cycles and with retorquing.
Might be worth trying the 1250S3's they are still printoseal but with the steel core.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well I've run the 1250's several times and never had a issue with them. Once I even reused a set because the parts store didnt have any in stock. I dont see any major issues with repeated retorquing. Although if the engine was warm when you retorqued then it might cause a issue. Could be the machined surface on the manifold is just grabbing the gasket and pulling during heating and cooling cycles and with retorquing.
Might be worth trying the 1250S3's they are still printoseal but with the steel core.

I've got to agree. The steel core on the S3s can't hurt. I'm going together with Windsor Jr heads this time and they have larger ports. The gaskets World suggests is Fel-pro 1262 just like the 1250s only bigger. Fel-pro makes a set of 1262S3s to fit that too. I'll be using them.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I know this song, been through it before with Mustangs. I'll never use the 1250s again. The best intake gasket is the 93334 and it'll come with the rubber ends.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-MS93334/

>>>> I've heard through the internet grape vine those fel-pro MS93334 gasket kits for the late model EFI 5.0's work good for stockish size ports,but the coolant ports may not be ideal for older heads & they don't come with EGR block off plates if you want them like the 1250 & 1262s... those gaskets have raised embossments around the ports with fairly hard material similar to the permatorque type gaskets & I believe they also have thin steel core....http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=876536&highlight=MS95952 ........ next link from a thread I started last year has a bunch of links talking about the different gaskets ... Ford racing & Fel-Pro both now consider the regular soft black cardboardish printo-seals as race gaskets for short term use while also allowing quick easy trimming of the port size http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135536&highlight=1250+gasket .....

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
anybody using Gasgacinch to "glue" the gasket to the head to keep it from shifting? Shifting appears to be the problem caused by cycles of heating cooling, not any excess heat or torque...

Looks like the newwest A50 gasket has solved the problem? anyone?

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
anybody using Gasgacinch to "glue" the gasket to the head to keep it from shifting? Shifting appears to be the problem caused by cycles of heating cooling, not any excess heat or torque...

Looks like the newwest A50 gasket has solved the problem? anyone?

What is an A50 gasket?

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
>>>> I've heard through the internet grape vine those fel-pro MS93334 gasket kits for the late model EFI 5.0's work good for stockish size ports,but the coolant ports may not be ideal for older heads & they don't come with EGR block off plates if you want them like the 1250 & 1262s... those gaskets have raised embossments around the ports with fairly hard material similar to the permatorque type gaskets & I believe they also have thin steel core....http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=876536&highlight=MS95952 ........ next link from a thread I started last year has a bunch of links talking about the different gaskets ... Ford racing & Fel-Pro both now consider the regular soft black cardboardish printo-seals as race gaskets for short term use while also allowing quick easy trimming of the port size http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135536&highlight=1250+gasket .....

Thanks for the reminder. That last post was a year ago and I have fallen back into somewhat the same senario. I thought by following the instructions to a "T" this time, the 1250 gasket would work. This time the water passage area of the gasket stayed in place but the intake runner area was compromised causing a vacuum leak both from atmosphere and from the lifter valley. This made the thing not only run like poo but used 1 quart of oil every 100 miles. Thanks again for the research and lets hope it helps others avoid such problems.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
My 306 in my stang has been together over 10 yrs and never pushed out the standard 1250. Dads FRPP 514 pushed out the same type gasket twice, the factory one in a yr, and then we switched to the S-3 4 yrs ago with no problems since. I'm sure it comes down to tolerances.
I switched to the S-3 after going through a few 1250's. Your old posts talked me into it. Great improvement no leaks since then.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
After reading all the blog in the post from 76 bronco J (thanks) it looks like the formulation for the Fel-Pro 1250 and 1262 may have changed since the were ok at one time but now are failing a lot. Ford even made Fel-Pro go back to the drawing board. The new 1250/1262 should only be used on race applications where frequent disassembly is inevitable.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
Remember, FEL-PRO was sold to Federal-Mogal. The first thing they did was fire all marketing and R and D. They have been going down hill ever since, just like every other brand that FM has acquired.IMO.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
motor forensics

Well after cleaning off the old intake gasket, I may have found the problem with the 1250 Fel-Pro gasket. These have an insert for the exhaust heat riser port so you can choose either open or blocked. This insert is both measurably thicker than the intake gasket and it is steel reinforced where the intake gasket isnt. It looks like this insert may have kept the intake gasket from compressing properly, therby allowing it to move around and tear. You can see in the photo that the gasket was trying to push away from the heat riser insert.

Attachments

• intake pic 1.JPG
    intake pic 1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 72

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
So what really is your final answer? Is a reg 1250 good enuff for daily driving or should I go a different route?

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wouldn' use a 1250 for anything but a racer that would be torn down after each race. The new 1250S holds up lots better.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I have used the felpro 1250 for years and years on all my ford builds. Not saying you did anything wrong but it does look like over torque. Just some tips that have always helped me use something like gasgacinch on the head side with a little rtv around the water jacket don't put anything one the ends yet, place intake on and tighten down the intake hand tight leave for about five minutes or a little longer good time to have a beer. Then take intake back off and run your bead of rtv at the ends let it set up for a little while atleast let it dry enough to have a skim coat of dry sealant on the outside, then run just a little rtv just a skim coat around the water jackets this part is optional but have found on used intakes it helps with any pitting that might be present. By placing the intake on and letting the gasgacinch dry you should never have another gasket shift on you again. As others have stated make certain to re-torque after a couple of heat cycles. Hope this helps.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I wouldn't' use a 1250 for anything but a racer that would be torn down after each race. The new 1250S holds up lots better.

Would agree the 1250s is a better gasket but as stated alot of it does come down to how you install it.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
SO do i use the exhaust inserts or not?

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
That is entirely up to you if you live some where cold then use the one with the small opening I always use the one that blocks the whole thing off, but I think everyone will have their own preference.