• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which leaf to remove on WH stock leafs

briancave

Installed WH stock leafs and springs on my '72. The front height is close to the 7" stock but the back is about 2.5" higher than stock. I know it may settle some with time but I can't imagine it will by much. I also just have a soft top. Which leaves should I remove to adjust. I've read some people recommend 3rd from top and others take of the bottoms. Is there a right answer or a best one to start with? I would call WH if it wasn't the weekend, hopefully paul is out there. Thanks for the help. Brian

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
2.5" sounds like a lot!

Did you put everything back on the ground and bounce it around a bunch before tightening everything up?

Sure you got the correct springs?

Even without a HT on, I think 2.5" higher than the front is a lot. Have you driven it around yet at all?

OP
OP
B

briancave

I've driven it around and shackles move fine. Pretty sure I have the right springs since it is a 10pk and I think all of their 2.5" lift springs are 11pk. I'll check the numbers with them on monday though. Just seems like too much spring. The rear driveshaft is maxed in length as are the shocks that came with them with the truck sitting level and full tanks.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Did you put everything back on the ground and bounce it around a bunch before tightening everything up?

Did you do this? If tightened while still in the air it won't allow everything to move around and settle properly.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said. But if you did, and you are light, it won't settle that fast like you suspected.
Still, even though ours tend to sit high in the rear, that 2.5" IS quite a bit!

Both of the methods you cited are legitimate. You can remove the 3rd from the top and/or some from the bottom. The lowest have the least effect overall, but are good for fine-tuning as you know that it will lower you the thickness of the leaf. The upper one should theoretically drop you about 1" to 1.5" or so.

What's the number stenciled on to the top leaf? Maybe 1119?
Although, it sounds like you've got the right set based on the 10-leaf count.

Sorry about the added hassle. Still have happier customers with them tall at first and then settling in for the long haul, but yours is a bit on the extreme side.
For the driveshaft, it sounds like your pinion angle is off possibly. Would be worth sighting down the line from the side now, with the pack at full height, then checking it again with the leaf or leaves removed.

In case you're not aware, you're looking for your rear axle pinion to point almost straight up along the centerline of the driveshaft. A degree or two down from center is ideal.
Every Bronco is different, and many people still don't need any kind of a shim, but more and more we're seeing the need for them. And one of the clues is a too-short driveshaft with such a low amount of lift.

Let us know how it comes out.

Paul

OP
OP
B

briancave

Springs are #1119 so correct number I think. I removed the third from top and very bottom leaf and the height is about perfect. Haven't driven it yet but bounced on it a lot. I'll see if it settles, if so, maybe I'll but the bottom back on. Back axle is about 7" from the frame. Thanks guys, on to the next project....