• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which p/s box to use?

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
I have been looking at the different p/s boxes available and have narrowed down between the 4x4 box and the nissan box. The 4x4 box has a stronger casting with used parts. The nissan box is a 2003 box so everything is new but the casting is not as beefy as the 4x4 box. Anybody have any input?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
What kind of tires are you gonna be abusing it with?
Percentage on road to off? Daily driver, I bet that Nissan would hold up fine.

OP
OP
BRONKEN

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
I'm running 35's now and possibly going to 37's in the future. It will be about 60% off road rock crawling and the rest street driving.

G

with not too much modification I used a 67 Lincoln Versalle ( ???or how ever it's spelled ???) I have a 74 Sport. if you would like a detailed how I did it email me Chalkoutline187@yahoo.com. I now have a digital cam and could send you some pics if you like. Have had no problems in a few years of use. ;D

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Go with the F150 rock crawler box. A stronger box is great and not tough to get parts for a rebuild, or to just have it done.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have the Nissan box and I like it. Has a nice feel. To date I have had no problems with it. The sector shaft is nice and beefy.

I do have to admit that I am only running 33" tires. I try not to abuse parts too much. If the steering wheel doesn't turn, I change direction for a few inches or feet and turn it some more. Most of that is due to the lockright in the front. I treated it the same way when I had the old D30 up front too, before it blew up.

I figure if the steering wheel doesn't want to turn, there is some reason for it, like the tire wedged in a rock. forcing it would probably break something.

As for the housing, It lived for a month while I was tracking down my death wobble. The nice door rattling death wobble. The death wobble that was so bad it blew out the Rancho steering stabilizer (that got replaced under warranty).

I did finally fix the death wobble with a track arm bushings. The old ones were only 9 months old. They couldn't be bad, they only had been in there for 9 months. They were bad, in only 9 months.