• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which shocks?

classic4x4s

Loc.
Zachary, LA
I want to maintain as much ride quaility as possible, but don't know what shocks would best suit. I have even used new rubber bushings in everthing except the trac-bar. This Bronco will be 90% pavement and 10% dirt roads/trails. What are some recomendations for easy riding shocks?

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
I have the Rancho 9000, I like them because they have 5 settings and you can dial in the ride for either on or off road.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Bilsteins. For your truck, 5100 series. About the same price as Rancho 9000's, once you try them you'll understand why. You'll need new front shock mounts if you don't have them already, but you should do that anyway. The stock ones are too short.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I had Rancho 9000's and dumped them for Duffs 70/30 shocks. Duffs ride so much better all around and much better control of the front end. Never had Bilsteins so I can't comment. I tried the Edelbrock EIS shocks on my Toyota they suck so bad. what a mistake so I wouldnt use them eithor.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I have extensice experience with Bilstein. Categorically, they are the best shock bar none compared to any other ... this is from direct experience with James Duff shocks, and from 20-years of experience with BMW, Porsche and Mercedes. Their response to any and all road conditions is so good it is impossible to describe ... it really is that awesome. Also, the lifetime warranty is no BS ... the performance does not change from 10 miles to 100,000 miles. I had a set replaced under warranty after 182,000 miles with no questions asked ... and they still performed better than most out-of-the-box shocks.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
just removed my POS ranchos and replaced with the bilstein 5100`s.all i can say is damn! :eek:<br> i wish i would have done this years ago.it rides awesome and handles better than it ever has.

broncodan1

;) :)<br>i've been very happy with my 9000's,i like the adjustability...and the ride,on the road,off road,and<br>landing after launching.......

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I just got back from the EBR tour of the Bilstein factory in San Diego and I have to say, they sold me on their shocks. I have some on my dad's BMW and my Mom's Impala SS and they are going on my bronco as soon as I can get the $$$. The took apart a shock and rebuilt it for us and it was pretty incredible. Many differences between theirs and the competition. Go with the bilsteins, you'll be happy you did.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Listen to 74bronc above. The majority of shocks are manufacturing from rolled and welded steel sheet. They do not hold tight tollerances as a result. Compare ... look at the ugly-ass seam up the side of any shock and compare to a Bilstein. A Bilstein (the bore) is machined from an extruded tube ... perfectly round and bored to significantly tighter tolerances ... and they stay that way given expansion / contraction that occurs during use is very very even. That's why they wear forever. Bilstein invented the gas chamber ... had a patent that ran out, then everyone copied the design. As a testimonial, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes would not put crap on their flagship vehicles.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
yep, he is right. Bilstein dyno tests all of their shocks before they go out the door. They have done testing that proves that their shocks hold 95% or better of their shocking ability even after 100K miles of service. There really is nothing to wear out on their shocks like other brands. Apparently Edelbrock tried to copy their shocks but apparently their shocks suck. Plus, all Bilsteins are warrantied for life. I know Rancho's are too, but try to get a Rancho warranteed is like trying to take candy from a child. PITA. All of Bilsteins warranty work is done here in San Diego and all you have to do is send it in, they will take it apart, change what needs to be changed, fill it up with new oil, dyno test it, and ship it back to you. No problemo. nice people to deal with.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Another good source is Baja Concepts. http://www.bajaconcepts.com/ Ask for Mike. The 6100's I installed on the front of my EB are so much better than the Rancho 9000's they replaced that it's funny. No setting on the Ranchos could match the ride and control of the Bilsteins. I had dual Ranchos up front for a while and tried removing one pair. Single Bilsteins work better than single or dual Ranchos. And as ASE-73 wrote, hold one of each side by side. The difference in workmanship is obvious. Considering that the 5100 series Bilsteins cost about the same as the Ranchos, what's not to like?

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
You can actually get the Bilsteins locally from Autozone. They won't usually have them in stock, but can order them. Remember, most modern auto parts stores only have one or two guys who actually know anything abouty the parts they sell, so call Baja Concept or the Bilstein tech line and figure out e4xactly which ones to order before you go there. I think Boss3024me is also a dealer....<br>Joe

OP
OP
classic4x4s

classic4x4s

Loc.
Zachary, LA
Thanks for all the help. Will I have to change my top shock mount? This rig is still stock height, I am not looking for much flex, just ride quality.

ktmrob200

Well, I'm almost ashamed to say that I run the monroe light truck shocks, which are less for a set than all the before mentioned for one shock. They work great for me, but I'm cheap.

TOMKLU

Loc.
San Diego, Californi
I also went to the Bilstein info session ( very good ). Nice to meet 74bronc.<br>Maybe I need to drive a Bronco with them, because I can't see how they can keep a firm ride at all speeds on the road and still be loose off the road. I understand how they work, and the quality is great, but for a dual environment vehicle I'm at a loss.<br>With the 9000's, I run 3-4 on the road and 1 off road.