• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which wiring harness?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I've read the posts dating back to 2003 and can't decide which harness to go with. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the topic. Here's what's important to me:

High quality wires and connections
Relatively easy/straightforward installation
Comprehensive kit - front to rear
Flexibility for future expansion (EFI option)

Which one: Centech? Painless? Ron Morris?

Thanks.
Jeff

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
If your real good with wire and solder I'd do what I did and make my own. Email me direct if you have any questions. But I now have new wires and all new connects waiting to be installed.

Terry

Punisher

I'm also wondering the same thing, I'm going to put in EFI when I put the motor back in and need a harness that will work for it.

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
i used the centech and love it, i believe no matter what harness you use you will still have to buy a efi harness. I did.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Don't think you can go wrong with a centech or painless kit they both are comparable as far as ease of installation and quality. Ron Francis is a high quality item but a total custom deal. If you want good quality and cheap EZ Wiring has a universal kit for $125. I just bought one for my 74 and seems like a good option if on a budget. ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The EFI is pretty much self contained in it's own harness so that isn't really a concern with any of the body harnesses.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
I've had my eye on the painless one for quite a while. Only because the fuse box looked a little more sturdy. But then again, I have not seen it up close.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've installed 2 centechs for others, and i bought one for myself. i'm very happy with centech. very easy install, i like the way they run the wires under the hood, every connection included, and you can grow with it.

i think ryan's harness plugs right into it, doesn't it?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It's A Snap Harness is an extremely well built street rod harness that you put terminals on to fit. Very complete, 21 circuits, uses blade style mini fuses all for $130.00. GXL insulation on the wire, wires are labeled very clearly-hard to beat if you're willing to save hundreds of dollars for a little time. They sell most of their harnesses to the street rod crowd, which in itself can be a real compliment.

I'm using it on my Bronco. I'm in the middle of the install now.

Broncos n' VWs

I love my Centech! But then again, it's the only harness I've used (aside from the stock one)

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I have a Centech in mine. Simple as hell. The Painless has a few more options that I would've liked to have but the Centech was straight forward and pre-loomed which was nice. If you don't care about looming it yourself go with the Painless for the extra circuits and fuse panel.

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
Harness

I Just Finished A Painless Install And It Was Just What It Is Called "painless". The Complete Job Went Easy. The Book That Came With The Kit Is Easy To Understand. The Only Problem I Had Was The Blinkers But The Guys On Here Helped Me And It All Worked Out Perfect.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed a Centech on mine and it was easy. I did some customizing to my dash and it was easy to adapt the harness. If I can install this harness, anyone can!

67bondobronc

I installed a Painless in mine and it was easy (I know nothing about electrical stuff and did it myself). I only had only problem and the guys on here and their Tech line helped me figure it out (had a bad ground which was my fault).

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
SC74 said:
I installed a Centech on mine and it was easy. I did some customizing to my dash and it was easy to adapt the harness. If I can install this harness, anyone can!

Just how custom is your dash? I've been going back and forth in what I want to put in mine. My dash is going to be pretty much completely custom. I'll be using Auto Meter guages and pretty much all new switches. Right now I think that Ron Francis would probably be the way for me to go.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'm in the middle of doing a Painless install and it's going in really simple. All the color coded wires are labeled which makes it really easy.

I know it's one of the expensive harnesses but I got a deal on this kit which was cheaper than the other brands........ ;D

Attachments

• DSC00962.JPG
    DSC00962.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 50

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
I have put 2 Centech harnesses in. I love them. I put EFI in the first one and was simple to retrofit with the Centech, and I am in the process of injecting the one I have now.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
I would only go with a Centech if you are just running the standard bronco engine and setup. Even the same dash. Otherwise, you will have to cut into that pretty little shrink wrap and extend all of your wires. I know a lot about this right now because we are wiring my Diesel bronco and a lot of stuff is on different sides than the norm. My dash is also different. I have spent a lot of time extending wires and changing direction. The painless harness is so well labeled that a rotten banana could wire your bronco. In addition, the major selling point for me is that the painless remakes all of your external light and marker lights into weatherproof connections. I love that because I am building mine to run through a lot of wild stuff. Water, mud, snow... it's sealed against all of that. Also, the wire is the best quality. I could go on and on and on, but my vote is painless all the way.