• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

while I was under the bronco, what's this hose for

SP66

Bronco Guru
found this running from the rear axle about a foot long and cut---breather? for what and why? at least with 1200 posts under my name Iv'e finally moved beyond what color should I paint it and will you show me your grabber blue

Last edited:

65 mustang

yea that's the breather hose for the rear diff. it should be long enough to reach the top of the frame. mine is poked into a hole in the frame near the connection of the hard line and flex hose for the rear brakes.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
There should be one on the fron diff. also

BTW ck them ever so often in the summer if your Bronco sits much at all as dirt dobbers are bad to clog the ends.

Firedog67

As fluid builds up heat it will build pressure. To relieve the pressure it needs to be vented from the axle. It is done thru that hose attached to frame. If it gets glogged or pinched off the pressure can build to a point gear lube will push past your seals. Both axles have this.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
thanks to all--got it gonna look for the one up front---already did a quick look before and didn't see it

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Is there a cap or anything that is supposed to be on it or just an open hose? I haven't pulled the body off my bronco yet to start on the frame so just curious if there could be a breather cap to put on it or if you could convert it to metal.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I believe factory they just went up into the frame and were open.

Last edited:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One way breather cap on the end of them from the factory

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have seen the caps but not on the broncos diffs. I find them on the d-20, What ever, I may have just missed them but the idea is when you drive thru water the air cools causing a vacuum that sucks water into the diff. The hose goes into the frame front and rear and I guess that works unless you drive through deep water. The caps have a disc to keep water from getting in but seems to only work when new. You should always check the fluids for water after wheeling in water.

broncman66

Loc.
Spring, TX
Or get ya some of these, then you don't have to worry about the water or dirt dobbers. They expand like an accordion as the diff gets hot, then contract as it cools. Think I found them on Amazon...

e8udusa8.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Flux Capacitors!!!

Import version of course. As opposed to the real Cuisinart brand...%)
But still quite effective, especially under the 88 mph limit.

Paul