• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who makes the best suspension lift???

Favorite Suspension in 5.5"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saryan

Loc.
Jenks ,Oklahoma
I am looking at getting one and I need to know if there is one to stay away from. I want the complete kit with the extreme style radius arms. I know that this is going to be a big personal opinion deal for the most part but I need to know if one is worse. The guy I deal with down here gets a better deal on the Toms but if it has somthing about it that sucks then I dont want it.The one I am getting is the 5.5" complete kit so let me know if you have any personal experience with them in that height. I want it to be able to flex but I will be driving it almost every day too. Thanks

Last edited:

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
do you care more about flex? on road handling? stiff/soft?

i personally run a lift that's a little stiff because i like it better, she ain't no caddy so why shoudl she drive like one? ;D

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
I am probably going to get the complete Tom's 5.5" kit as well with the long arms. The kit looks great, the rear leafs are all the same I hear. I am not sure about the coils. The BC coils are nice and there are many people who have been happy with those. If I would change two things with the Tom's kit, it would be 1.coils, and 2.get a inboard shock hoop for the rear. The stock rear shock mounts will not have as good of travel as the Inboard hoop. Like I said the coils I am not 100% on, but it is something I am going to look into before I get the kit.

I do like how it has the long arms, hoops up front, dual shocks, etc. overall, it looks like a great kit.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
I chose to get my lift from BC based on my research and others opinions plus the fact Chuck is always here on the board chiming in and he backs his stuff up. I also went with the Cage long arms and they are built really well. ;D

mountainlivin

Loc.
colorado springs
Cage arms are around $625. If you have any questions about them, e-mail jim cole. He is the designer of the arms. there is a link to his e-mail on the cage web site. He is a very smart very nice guy.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
Personally, I think a combo of several different components makes the best lift. I run BC 4.5" winch coils up front, 5.5" 11-leaf Nationals in the rear(although BC's Deavers a sweet too), Cage long arms, and the inboard shock setup. I use all 14" of travel up front and all 11.5" of travel in the rear. Without a wristed arm, a WAH, or long arms, you will never get the full potentional out of any lift out there. I've tried several different coils from Duff to Wild Horses to BC. I like the BC coils the best. I am very hard on my rig, so I expect the stuff i run to hold up, and it does.

Look how twisted up both axles are:
20041121164154_PICT0841.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

saryan

Loc.
Jenks ,Oklahoma
I love your rig man. I have seen it before on some post you have. What do you mean about the wristed and extended not giving you enough flex?

GaBronco

Loc.
South Ogden
"With a wristed arm, a WAH, or long arms, you will never get the full potentional out of any lift out there." By jeepincj7

Pretty sure that was just a typo and he meant to say that without one of those flex enhancers you will not get the best results. Hopefully i got that right! ;D

Nathan

OP
OP
S

saryan

Loc.
Jenks ,Oklahoma
Not trying to bash anyone but I am suprised how many votes Duff is getting compared to Wildhorses. I have no expeirence with either but just from what I have heard I thought it would be different.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I can't say anthing about other lifts but I can say that I run a BC Broncos 3.5" lift and have been very satisfied with the ride and performance.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
GaBronco said:
"With a wristed arm, a WAH, or long arms, you will never get the full potentional out of any lift out there." By jeepincj7

Pretty sure that was just a typo and he meant to say that without one of those flex enhancers you will not get the best results. Hopefully i got that right! ;D

Nathan

Yeah. It was a typo. I fixed it. Without a WAH, wristed arm, or long arms you'll never seethe full potential of your suspension.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
saryan said:
Not trying to bash anyone but I am suprised how many votes Duff is getting compared to Wildhorses. I have no expeirence with either but just from what I have heard I thought it would be different.

MY story is somewhat of a rant and a little off-topic, but its to show you that customer service should be considered when purchasing a suspension setup.

Me too. I've run Duff components. The previous owner of my rig had everything Duff on it. Its since been replaced with other(read: BETTER) components IMO.

I had nothing but issues with everything except the long arms(which are Jim Cole's design anyway). I ripped their "Ultimate" powersteering box off the frame because the ears on the box broke off(that was a fun trail fix 6mi into the middle of the Rubicon Trail). I had nothing but handling issues with that setup anyway. I had to replace the steering box once because of a failed seal, and then the break happened. The steering pump bit the dust shortly after. And after calling them they wanted $300 for a replacement pump, and lied to me about that fact that the pump is a "Custom" pump and could only be purchased through Duff. Well, that pump is nothing more than a 91 Dodge Dakota steering pump that you can buy at any local auto parts store for $45 or $55 with the resevoir. The steering box is a Nissan Frontier or Xterra steering box that can be purchased for $199 at autozone, but they machine the main shaft to accept the EB pitman arm. The coil springs I had were way too stiff and didn't flex well at all so they were pulled. Their long tube headers wouldn't work with their own long arms so they were replaced too. Keep in mind that they don't disclose that the long arms can't be used with their long tube headers either. I found that out after purchasing the arms and was told I could order their new headers that would work.

Now, I buy from Chuck. PERIOD! You can usually always get Chuck on the phone personally, and he's more than happy to lend a hand and give advise even if you don't buy from him. He helped me with my F-150 4x4 box conversion by machining the power steering pump to accept the F150 lines for free! The way I see it is that he's EARNED my business from now on. Customer service goes a long way in this business and for what Duff lacks, Chuck provides.

LIke I said. I've run Duff stuff. It doesn't work for what I do with my rig. Mine is a daily driver and weekend warrior that I beat the hell out of. BTW, Chuck runs the same components on his race Bronco that just finished 3rd in his class in the Baja 1000.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'm in the process of setting my suspension up just like Scotty's rig (Jeepin CJ7)

I like to use mine just like he does, and his works well.

Is Tom still using the Superlift springs, or did he finally get away from them? If he's still using them, avoid them like the plague, they don't flex at all. I flopped my rig twice this summer due to no flex.

edgeoffroad04

Right now I am between Duff and Wild Horses, Extreme front Shock hoops, besides the 10 or 15$ difference, which is the better hoop to get? I will be doing most of my driving on sand, with someday jumping, but the Bronc will be used mainly offroad.
Thanks
Marcus

Bronconut

I personally run Duffs long arms, Stage 2 hoops and BC's coils up front. BC's leaves and inboard shocks in rear. All with single Rancho 9000's. This set up flexes great and rides better than my stock rig. I have runs lifts from many diiferent companies and found the best way is to build a kit yourself. Almost all manufacturers have something in their 'kits' that someone else builds better.
I also agree with Chuck's customer service, he personally walked me through a couple things on the phone during my last build. But I have never really had problems with any of the manufacturers though.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
i have a mix of everything on my bronco. i have the duff shook hoops on the front, wildhorses 5.5 rock crawler springs and alcan rear springs with copied spring rockers made out of .5 inch plate and a 1" through bolt(greasable), i am also in the process of getting a set of Wagoner Machine Shop (WMS) front control arms. i have yet to be happy with any radius arms. the best solutions to the rear shocks that i found was the BC rear in-board shock hoop since i went with the disc brake conversions and they are killing my ranchos so the rear inboard shock hoop is awesome and it makes the trcuk flex and still handle down the highway at 80....

OP
OP
S

saryan

Loc.
Jenks ,Oklahoma
okorangebrnco said:
i have a mix of everything on my bronco. i have the duff shook hoops on the front, wildhorses 5.5 rock crawler springs and alcan rear springs with copied spring rockers made out of .5 inch plate and a 1" through bolt(greasable), i am also in the process of getting a set of Wagoner Machine Shop (WMS) front control arms. i have yet to be happy with any radius arms. the best solutions to the rear shocks that i found was the BC rear in-board shock hoop since i went with the disc brake conversions and they are killing my ranchos so the rear inboard shock hoop is awesome and it makes the trcuk flex and still handle down the highway at 80....

Hey your not the guy I talked to about 2 weeks ago at Danny's are you.