• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who owns a "Non Classic" Bronco?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Who has a newer Bronco in addition to their Classic Bronco? I have a 66 and a 74 plus a 2007 Expedition that sorta counts as a newer Bronco. We are considering getting another Bronco of the 78-79 vintage to use as an around town family rig. My wife wanted an early bronco but we were thinking it might be a little small for hauling kids and groceries around on a daily basis. Just curious if anyone else has something like this. If you have one show me some photos of it.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My daily driver and #2 trail rig is a '78 Bronco..and has been that since '92. Hauled kids..firewood..furniture..towed boats and EBs all over the US. It's the most versatile and reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
have owned a couple of "full figured" gals over the years.....my favorite big girl was a 96 Eddie Bauer with the 351 and every option. I didn't feel worthy

Attachments

• 96bauer2.jpg
    96bauer2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 12
  • 96bauer.jpg
    96bauer.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 86plow.jpg
    86plow.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

eb-nutt1

I have a 78BB that i'm currently trying to get back on the road. Built it for a guy about 15years ago:460, arb frt, detroit rear, 4.10 gears, 4"superstiff lift, 35" tires. He parked it after he broke the detroit about 8 years ago. My dad bought it for a steal and it's sat for the last 3+ years at his place. Trying to get it roadable for alot of the reasons you listed: lots more room for my 3 girls,already has ac, will be able to do some med weight towing. Already replaced the fuel tank, rear brakes and brake hose[f250 hose], fuel pump, steering joint and rag joint. 1st time out for some lite duty trail riding broke all of the 15 year old c-bushings. Ordered new bushing kit and 4" deaver coils from JBG to install this weekend. Will be gettiing new tires and wheels in the near future. Having more fun with it right know because of my girls than the eb's{both parked/disassembled}.
No pics right know though. Sorry so long.

Brian

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
oops..you asked for pics. Here are a few

me-at-f4a.jpg
[/IMG]

40th20east20078.jpg
[/IMG]

40th20east20083.jpg
[/IMG]

dsc00835.jpg
[/IMG]

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
i have a brother wanting to get rid of a '79.
bought it off the lot new. frame off restoration about 10 years ago.
looking to get $1200.00 for it i think. needs work-did it when son turned 16 he was pretty rough on it. has a new 400 crate motor also - think he's asking around $1000.00 for it.
let me know if you or anyone else is interested. I was going to do it - but some of you probably know how it is dealing with kin-folks. been there done that with a 79 CJ7 i sold him once that was unbelievable and al he did was complain.
located in west Tennessee

D ROCK

I have a 77' shop lifer (been in the shop as long as I've had it) a '74 (hopefully one day a driver) and a '94 with 197,000 miles on a 5.8. I'm the 6th owner via carfax. I drive it when I can't drive my F-250 daily driver.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
My fullsize is my lifelong vehicle, but it doesn't really have a year any more; it's put together from junkyard parts spanning nearly 3 decades, and I'm about to swap the body (again) & the frame. I haven't built the '76 yet.

Tonka7777

Loc.
Greenville
Had a 95 XLT that I drove for 10 years. It took a head on collision at 55 mph and i walked away with 1 scratch (from the airbag). That truck saved my life! Replaced it with 95 Eddie Bauer, which I still drive today. Still solid. Gets me around until my 73 is road ready. I would take any year Bronco over anything on the road today.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Here's my workhorse

Attachments

• P1230009.jpg
    P1230009.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 45
  • P1240102.jpg
    P1240102.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 43

L&D's Broncos

Non-Classic????

We sold the Silver Anniversary last fall, but the 89' BII is the wife's.
Most may not know and many more would not like it but BII's are U14. And Fullsize's were U15.
The heart of her's is still early though as engine, trans, and transfer case is all 1975 Bronco!;D

Attachments

• Copy of P1010367_edited.JPG
    Copy of P1010367_edited.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P4183275.jpg
    P4183275.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010065_edited.jpg
    P1010065_edited.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 17

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I've got a 90 that I've had for about 5 years. I like it a lot.

Here it is with a few others on a trail maintenance trip. Mine is the little red & white one on 33s in the middle.
100_5305.jpg%20alt=

At El Mirage.
100_85782.jpg%20alt=

And hauling an equipment trailer.
100_62372.jpg%20alt=

Please excuse the cut & paste, but here's a little info on some of the differences between the years. Most of the links are to FSB.
The body style breaks are 78-79, 80-86, 87-91, & 92-96. If you look thru the Post a Pic of your Bronco 80-96 Thread & Post a Picture of your Bronco 78-79 Thread you can see the different styles. As they get newer, wheel openings seem to get smaller.

1980 had an odd frame with holes in it. In 81 they went back to the solid frame. I think in 92 they went to the accordion style frame horns, so it can be trickier to add recovery points. 87 & some 88s with manual hubs had the top hat hubs which are expensive to replace, & require a lot of additional parts to swap to the more common hubs, avoid those if you can. 87 & 88 auto hubs can be swapped easily like other years. Auto hubs are prone to fail, but changing to manual hubs is pretty simple. Don't let auto hubs deter you from buying an otherwise good truck, just plan on making the switch. There are several good write ups on swapping them if the time comes.

Broncos with 302s had EFI before the 351s. As you move to newer trucks, the electronic systems become more advanced. If it has EFI, you should be able to pull codes from the computer to help with diagnostic issues. 96s (Maybe some 95s) are MAF (Which is more adaptable to intake/cam changes) & are OBDII. 87-92 had rear antilock brakes, 93-96 have 4 wheel ABS.

78-79 are the only years that came stock with solid front axles, which the rock crawlers like. The high speed desert guys seem to prefer the TTB independent front axle which is stock from 80-96.

All full size Broncos had the removable tops, but the newer ones (92+?) have rear seat shoulder belt mounting points & 3rd brake lights, so they aren't supposed to be removed.

The later years come with an E4OD 4 speed overdrive tranny. It's a heavy duty trans, but doesn't like heat & is expensive to rebuild. Make sure it's in good shape. It's a good idea to add an external filter & cooler if you get one (Like this: Trans Filter, Cooler & THERMOSTAT install by Fireguy50 or this VOTE For Sept.'07 FOTM by Sixlitre -Post 173 Trans filter.) They did do some upgrades to the newest E4ODs, & when the older ones are rebuilt, they should include those upgrades. If you are using it primarily offroad, you might prefer an older truck with a C-6 (Non overdrive) trans. There were other trannies used as well & adrianspeeder's Bronco Tranny and T-Case Info thread has a bunch of trans/engine/year combo info.

As for being lifted, you'd rather have extended radius arms than radius arm drop brackets. Blocks are definitely bad in the front, & aren't the best solution for the rear either. Take a look thru the lift section of Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links for several links on the subject.

Both manual & electric shift t-cases were available in late 80s-96. Most of us think the manual ones are more reliable, but in salt belt trucks sometimes the manual linkage is more trouble. There's a good electronic shift diagnostic routine that kf4amu links regularly, & shadowfax & others have writeups on rebuilds & swaps. Both electric & manual shift thru later years are BW 1356 t-cases, so internally the works are the same, even though shifters won't interchange.

If you're looking for common problems, watch out for rust over the rear wheel well openings & bottom of the tailgate. It usually starts on the inside, so if you see it, it's probably all the way thru. Rain gutter & bottom of the B pillar are also places to look. The rear window will act up on most of these eventually, but the problems usually aren't bad to fix. Don't let a stuck window scare you off, use it as a bargaining chip.

For my use, if I was buying one today, I'd probably be looking at an 89 351w or a 78-79. The 89 is very similar to my 90, (Which I like a lot & have grown familiar with) but the 89 has a C-6 behind the 351. I don't drive mine much on the freeway, so I don't think I'd miss the OD. 78-79s are just cool, simpler (If you learned on carbureted engines anyway ;D), have larger wheel openings, & have solid axles.

irish

Loc.
Grayson, Georgia
96 xlt daily driver, just got the f150 love that body style

Attachments

• 4x4 009.jpg
    4x4 009.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 96 002.jpg
    96 002.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 10

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
My daily driver is a stock '87 Bronco with 215k, my first fuel injected truck, and the first with plastic headlights. I've always run old stuff, but when my daughter was born I decided to get something a little more user friendly, although I have all the parts to SAS the front and lift it. I also have a '93 that is in great shape, but needs a trans, and interior, not sure what I'm going to do with that one.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have a 78 Custom I've been slowly working on for about a year and a half. Just now at the point where I am starting to make progress. Picked it up from the second owner. It is 99% original, 351M, C6, NP203 (converted to part time), original Bright Yellow paint with black accents and interior, and original white wagon wheels.. Plans are a mild restomod that essentially looks stock but has some modern upgrades for use as a DD / tow vehicle for my trail rig. I found a bit more rust than I anticipated, but that just means a little more work!

Engine will be a 408M with Mustang efi, Lunati cam with about a 9.3 CR. Already have the Edelbrock Streetmaster modified for injectors thanks to bmc's handiwork! Just pulled the engine last week and I'll be ordering an engine kit from TMeyer soon. Heres some pics.

When I got it -
P5310281.jpg

P5300264.jpg

Lokar install -
PC270111-1.jpg

Engine out -
DSC00416.jpg

Modified intake -
DSC00363.jpg

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
get those round headlights out of there Scoop! that baby needs squares!

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
Back before I got the EB bug, I had a 78 BB baby blue with yellow, orange and white stripes. I miss that thing a lot, I traded it away because I wanted a pickup....still one of the worst moves as far as vehicles go I've ever made.