• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who sells the best reproduction sheet metal?

tonytheplumber

Loc.
Lowell, IN
I am looking to purchase a tailgate and a steel grill to replace my current fiberglass grill so that I can readily mount headlight buckets, marker/turn lamps, and hood latch without the difficulties associated with the fiberglass. Of the EB parts retailers I do not know which one sells the best fitting body panels. Yes, I understand reproduction panels may not align amazingly well, but some must be better than others.

As far as the tailgate I have a badly rusted out gate that I can steal most of the hardware from, so I've at least got that going for me.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

needsmoarturbo

I think Dennis carpenter has pretty good parts still. Look them up. The supplier that's closest to you is cj pony parts in Ohio but I don't know whose pays they sell I think they have a mix of dynacorn and other cheaper parts. The other one close to you is bronco graveyard in Michigan. I sort of get the impression that you have to always do some tweaking with fenders and quarter panels. I don't hear as much about grills and tailgates. I hope someone chimes in with more useful info than what I've got.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Ive had great luck with Dennis Carpenter. I bought two quarters from CJ Pony and had to return them due to poor quality. Otherwise Toms, and Wild Horses has also been good for Steel parts. I hear they all sell the same but the Carpenter pieces that are silver in color seem to be thicker gauge and better fitment than the black China stuff. Just my experience.

papy

Contributor
following

looking for floor pans, has anyone purchased pans from Toms, Wild Horses, Carpenter if so what was your experience in quality/fitment?

BroncoBub

I've used Dennis Carpenter floor pans, rocker panels (inner and outer), quarter panels, rear wheel tub (drivers side only needed), all fit with minimal to no tweaking. I'm in the process of replacing front wheel tubs and fitment looks spot on. I've used cj's in the past and had to trash quarter panel as fitment was terrible.
Hope this helps.

Bub

Bronco4x4

I bought a DC original tool grille from WH also. Nice quality part that shows the Fomoco stamp near the headlights.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I used TBP for all of my sheetmetal,pretty much the same as the rest. I think the important thing is shipping. Go with whoever is closest to you. Prices will vary by a couple bucks.;)

MrT

After a couple hefty shipping charges elsewhere the fact DC has flat rate shipping deals will be enough to earn my business. That money can go towards more parts!

OP
OP
tonytheplumber

tonytheplumber

Loc.
Lowell, IN
Thank you gentleman so much for your replies! Sorry I ghosted the thread, I didn't receive any emails that there were replies. I thought the thread wasn't creating any activity.

I will be purchasing a Dennis Carpenter grill to start with (as soon as they are back in stock) so I can get my hood on asap (installing the latch on the fiberglass grill I going to work very poorly, if at all). Tailgate likely to follow later this year.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Thank you gentleman so much for your replies! Sorry I ghosted the thread, I didn't receive any emails that there were replies. I thought the thread wasn't creating any activity.

I will be purchasing a Dennis Carpenter grill to start with (as soon as they are back in stock) so I can get my hood on asap (installing the latch on the fiberglass grill I going to work very poorly, if at all). Tailgate likely to follow later this year.

Why wait, in stock DC part.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Front_Grille_Made_From_Original_Tool/Bronco_Front_Grille_Parts

Jim

MrT

I went with DC. I bought a windshield frame, tailgate lots of small parts and both front fenders. The kicker...shipping $14.95 flat rate. That made his parts less expensive than the othe cheaper parts with crazy shipping cost.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I went with DC. I bought a windshield frame, tailgate lots of small parts and both front fenders. The kicker...shipping $14.95 flat rate. That made his parts less expensive than the othe cheaper parts with crazy shipping cost.

$14.95 to ship all those items to you?
wow!

MrT

$14.95 to ship all those items to you?
wow!

Yes, I double checked my invoice to make sure. It was a big relief after spending over $200 in shipping on orders from TBP's and Duff's. I did order heavy items from them and they are far away from me but I started getting worried about the cost of shipping the body parts. On DC website it stated if each item qualified for the flat rate.

OP
OP
tonytheplumber

tonytheplumber

Loc.
Lowell, IN
Last edited: